Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM

burtonboy is on a distinguished road
Default Quarantine tanks?

Well I'm starting a Quarantine tank and I'm wondering How long will it take before i can put a fish in? I really dont want to take out more than 3 gallons from my 30 gallon tank and the quarantine tank is about 20-25 gallons. How long will it have to cycle for?

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

when I ran quarantines it was very simple...something that could essentially be set up in an instant. Take at least 50% of your quarantine's volume out of your display (water chaaaaange!), use some PVC pipes and elbows to provide a sense of shelter for the fish to be quarantined. Powerhead, heater and voila. If you want to use a bit of live rock, make it rubble or something like that that you can easiy remove incase you have to medicate.
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
when I ran quarantines it was very simple...something that could essentially be set up in an instant. Take at least 50% of your quarantine's volume out of your display (water chaaaaange!), use some PVC pipes and elbows to provide a sense of shelter for the fish to be quarantined. Powerhead, heater and voila. If you want to use a bit of live rock, make it rubble or something like that that you can easiy remove incase you have to medicate.

couldnt of said it better myself, only the essentials in case you need to medicate plus if you have too much stuff the fish tends to hide alot more and gets harder for feeding always have some garlic on hand and water change water. a small airstone is something i also use in addition to a powerhead. its been a long time since ive quarantined fish but i use to quarantine for a month
Old 10-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbacchiega View Post
Yep. That's what I do too. I do this for any new setups as well. Try to use at least 40-60% "used" water. Nothing wrong with a 15 gallon water change on your 30 gallon tank. I've done that many times.

SPS fanatic.