Business is really slow so I am more frugal 25 21.37%
Business is the same so spending the same 29 24.79%
Don't care about the economy or my job-spend whatever I can. 21 17.95%
Economy sucks, but my hobby never will, Buy as I require it. 40 34.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road
Default Economy blues poll

So after observing how fast and slow things are selling here and abroad on the forum my poll is this: The majority of people don't seem to be spending as much or are downsizing or getting out of the hobby altogether. I would have to atribute this to lay-off's at work, slower business or business closure etc. So I will put in a few options for your views.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I voted things are the same for me I thought it was gonna get slow but I work for a rental company and when the recession hit they started buying cheap properties , they have been waiting years for this and when it happens they buy it all up. Lately I've been working 16 hr days with little tank time but I'm building a huge custom tank so I'm still spending, orob mire now than ever lol
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 AM

amoreira is on a distinguished road

For me things are great! The only problem I have is LFS not stocking the stuff I want and waiting for slow shipping.
180 gal tank, 50 gal sump, PM RFCa6 Ca Reactor, SWC Extreme 250 1A Cone Skimmer, Tunz Osmolator ATOF, Aquacontroller Apex, Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue 6 x 75w Units, Acros/Softies/LPS/Mushrooms/Zoos, Purple/Powder Blue/Yellow Tang/3xBlue Chromis/2xTomato Clown/Lawnmower Blenny
Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

My spending has slowed mainly because of 2 reasons; HST and City Bank cranking up my credit card from 5% to 25% and increasing the payments. Thanks for bailing them out Mr. President of "A."
Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

There is no option for ' business partner stole all the company assets and left you with the debt and refuses to be a civil human being '.

So then the next closet thing is option 1, but I have no plans to get out or down size if at all possible.

Starting a new company and looking into opening a SW shop here in Red Deer if I can get approval from the BD of C.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 10-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road

I was under the impression that the recession was over and things were picking up again? We've been busier at work during Q2 and Q3 than we were during the boom years.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:13 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

One of the reasons I posted this poll is more curiousity than anything, I have noticed for the most part Canada is 1+1/2- 2 years behind in our economic structures. I have listened to a lot of b$ coming from parliment hill stating that Canada would come out of this{smelling like a rose} and there was no way that we would be as bad as the U.S.A. Yet I have seen more work slow downs and layoffs where I live, and business is down 10-15%. I think the smaller comunities are taking bigger hits{normal} but I still think we have some more downhill dips to go. I personally have had to cut some of my employees hours or I will have to let somebody go. I have had more people coming and asking for work in the last 6 months than I have had in the past 6 years. So how we spend is sometimes indicitive of this. I find it interesting to talk to people and find that most of the people I talk to say they have definately seen a slow down over the past year. I know there is some business's that seem to fly along regardless of what happens in the economy but if you look at the reef forums there is what appears to be a lot mor stuff being sold and systems being taken down. Just my 2cents.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

My jobs directly effected by other companies spending, budgets get cut, my work gets cut. A lot of major projects hit the shelves for awhile but now, I can't keep up and work 60+ hours a week once again. I'm sure the lfs is glad to see my wallet again.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
One of the reasons I posted this poll is more curiousity than anything, I have noticed for the most part Canada is 1+1/2- 2 years behind in our economic structures. I have listened to a lot of b$ coming from parliment hill stating that Canada would come out of this{smelling like a rose} and there was no way that we would be as bad as the U.S.A. Yet I have seen more work slow downs and layoffs where I live, and business is down 10-15%. I think the smaller comunities are taking bigger hits{normal} but I still think we have some more downhill dips to go. I personally have had to cut some of my employees hours or I will have to let somebody go. I have had more people coming and asking for work in the last 6 months than I have had in the past 6 years. So how we spend is sometimes indicitive of this. I find it interesting to talk to people and find that most of the people I talk to say they have definately seen a slow down over the past year. I know there is some business's that seem to fly along regardless of what happens in the economy but if you look at the reef forums there is what appears to be a lot mor stuff being sold and systems being taken down. Just my 2cents.
Hey, you still have a employees, a business and a house. Most of our American friends are unemployed, their companies went bankrupt and the bank foreclosed on their home.

One of the reasons we don't have all the problems is that we have a good government in Ottawa. Don't blame the government. Be thankful we have good government.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The economy got me laid-off a few years ago, but that hardly put a hitch in my giddy-up. Luckily, my line of work doesn't give me much (if any) wage cut when I change workplaces. It's all the same to me.

SPS fanatic.