Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 AM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road
Default dead turbo snail bad? crabs are eating it..

I have a dead turbo snail in my tank, that appears to have just kicked the bucket, is in a tough place to get at, but it appears all my blue legged hermits are doing a number on him, will it be ok to stay in the tank being the crabs are devouring him? i added a little prime to the water just incase, i can fish him out but its gonna be a giant PITB.

Feed back please!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Yeah one snails won't create enough of a spike to harm anything Its an expensive meal for the crabs but they should take care of him.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 AM

ya i did some searching online and i didn't think it would be enough, they do seem to be enjoying my 8$ snail as we speak damn things!

thanks for the quick feedback!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I find I can always notice when a snail has kicked off. The tank has a bit of an "off" look to it for a few days. If you pull that snail out now before the flesh is all gone, for example ... it will be in your top 5, maybe even top 3 most-foul-smelling things you've ever smelled. It's probably not that great to leave in there. However that said, my tank is littered with snail shells of those that didn't make it, and the tank lives on. I pull them out every few months or I let the urchins pull the shells out of crevasses and then I pick them off the urchins.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:30 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

UmmMm in a large system a small snail won't do mch but a Mexican turbo snail gets pretty nasty ,I lifted one once that had been left for a long time when I lifted it nothing but black tar came out two days later had a tank crash , not saying t was my snail but they turn pretty ugly. If I were you And ts a bg mexcan turbo I'd take the time to remove it
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 AM

I had two turbo snails kick the bucket at the same time. Small spike but cleared up in 2 days in my 29G. If its a big mexican turbo snail I agree with Reefwars that you should pull it.

I would assume that if the crabs have found it, there won't be much left by tomarrow mourning.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 AM

there is about 5-6 fairly large blue hermits all over it at the moment, i will inspect tomorrow and ensure its gone or it will be removed.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:58 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

+1 on the smell, wow. I had one was stuck in a powerhead behind my rocks for a couple days before i noticed my skimmer pulling excesive skimmate. It got put in the garbage Thursday night and taking the garbage out on Friday morning nearly made me keel over. The next snail I thought that the garborator would be better... The only thing worse than the smell was the array of snail guts across my kitchen. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM

well i pulled the shell out this morning to inspect it and there was nothing left in it. looks like the crabs did the proper job cleaning up. also noticed a work like looking thing eat the snail shell, looked like a bristle work possible, first time i had ever noticed that.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevNnic View Post
well i pulled the shell out this morning to inspect it and there was nothing left in it. looks like the crabs did the proper job cleaning up. also noticed a work like looking thing eat the snail shell, looked like a bristle work possible, first time i had ever noticed that.

Nice the way nature kinda takes care of it self