Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default My two 230g tanks and 80g add on

Since I never did do a tank journal for either of my 230g tanks I figured now was a good time and I would update everyone on my situation.

A few of you may remember that a few weeks ago I had some sort of illness go through my tank, I did loose a bunch of fish, some to the illness and some during treatment (skunk clowns, checkerboard and solaris wrasse ) and some fish died after the treatment. Flame angel went MIA a few days after treatment, even though he seemed to be doing ok

Anyway when I first started treating the whole system a friend of mine took my corals for me to hold them for me and after I treated my reef fish (with a formalin dip, which killed some of them ) he took the rest of the fish. Unfortunately the tank he had my sohal tang and my corals in crashed last night and now my GBTA & corals are not doing well/almost dead and my sohal tang is dead Some of my lps (frogspawn) I have had for 4 yrs and grew from a few heads to about 10-12

I had thought about selling one of the 230g tanks (the fowlr one) but it seems Doug (fishytime) has some plans for that tank (so we'll see what happens) and I guess I'll be keeping it for now.

I QT'd my fowlr fish and I am doing hypo salinity on them now so the fish I have left from the fowlr tank are: King/passer angel (thank god because even though she's mean she's my fav.) lunare wrasse, toby puffer (who never caught the disease so I have him in a 10g QT tank on his own), blue line trigger, foxface, maroon clown and bursa trigger.

The reef fish I have left that I'd like to keep are my juvi red corris wrasse, cleaner wrasse, yellowhead sleeper goby and 6-line wrasse. The reef fish that are still alive but don't think I'll keep (I will sell them once I know they are totally healthy) are my female Ocellaris Clownfish, yellow watchman goby and pink spotted watchman goby. Also debating on selling the foxface since my king picks on him all the time, however the king doesn't do to much damage to the foxface and the foxface is pretty good at holding his own against her so I don't know. Also not sure how my lunare wrasse would react to the other wrasse I have but since they are much smaller then him I am hoping he'd be ok with them.

I unfortunately still have to catch the red corris wrasse from the reef tank We had the tank totally empty and had caught all the other fish but since I hadn't seen the red corris for a few days prior, I figured he was dead and we had all the fish out so we (or I should say Doug and Steve from Red coral) put the rock back in. Of course 2 days later there he was still in the tank! I have Bob's fish trap but haven't had too much time to stand for hours holding the trap door up to catch him. I will try again later on today. So far the red corris is fine and eating and looking perfectly healthy so I still can't quite figure out what on earth my fish caught.

So I need to figure out which tank to put the fish I want to keep back into and which one to keep empty. I think I'll put my fish in my 230g reef tank since it has the nice rock work stand on it and it is hard to place corals in it because it's so tall with the cap on it and I'll figure out what to do with the 230g fowlr tank later on down the road. Also the timing of all this really really sucks as I just went from a dual income (a few months ago) to paying all the bills on my own, which means my reef budget is now going to mortgage payments and I am very broke

Last edited by fishoholic; 01-09-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

If you decide to sell your mushroom rocks I want dibs lol I can see those being a good addition to my new tank lmk if you decide to sell ut out thanks Laurie sorry to hear the holding tank crashed last night.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Wow sorry to hear

It seems as though this hasn't been a great summer for a lot of tanks.. Mine included! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I feel bad for a lot of reefers lately. Hope things pan out in the end Laurie...stick with it!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Good luck. On the positive side, at least your tanks did NOT break and release 230g of sw all over your carpets

Hope you sort this stuff out soon. I know some of what you're going through. It has been a tough year for several of us reefers but hopefully the worse is behind us and our tanks will all be better than ever. Chin up

Anthony
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

You already know my take on the whole situation Girly, the easy thing to do would be to pack it in, but that is what makes us all reefers.....we are all gluttons for punishment.....you know you have to keep on truckin.....you are NOT shutting down
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

as hard as it may be, i have seen your tanks Laurie and they are beautiful. you'll bounce back and they will be even better!!! there is no way we are letting you pack it in!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

Ya you cant quit now! I feel really bad about the Sohal and your corals/nem.....like i said it will all be covered. I know there was an attachment to them as you have had them for years but it is the best i can do in the mean time....

Give me a shout anytime this week if you are bored and we can sit down and plan your comeback tanks over pool if you would like!

Steve
Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone and you're right Anthony at least my tanks didn't break, that definately would of been worse! I felt bad for you when I heard yours did

Steve you were helping me out and doing me a favor, what happend sucks, so thanks for being good about eveything and willing to replace them. PS plan on getting your butt kicked at pool!

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-14-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:36 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Dunno what really to say here other than good luck. Focus on onwards and upwards and you'll find your stride again!