Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 PM

krg is on a distinguished road
Default Noob question:

What are the benefits to using a powerhead? Currently I'm only using a Rena cannister filter and I get decent water-flow from that. I'm thinking of adding a Koralia Powerhead but I'm curious..what are the benefits?? I guess I should mention that I only have a little bit of LR in my tank, as well as two small fish. A Scarlett Clownfish, and a Blue Damsel. And I keep them in a 77ga tank. Thanks for reading!! Take care everyone!!
Kennan
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Waterflow is important in any aquarium for many reasons:

1. Helps keep poop/waste from settling on the bottom (Ie: under rocks where you cant see, etc...)
2. Helps distribute nutrients around the tank (not only do I mean growth nutrients to corals and stuff, but also pushes the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate around to the bacteria, which to them is nutrients, and helps keep your tank clean)
3. Provides oxygenation!

(4. discourages algae growth etc... etc...)

There are many other reasons but those first 3 are pretty big ones. Even if you have an XP4 on there, I know those dont put out a TON of flow, and its probably not picking up a lot of the gunk on the bottom.

Heck, even in a FW tank I personally would add something additional for waterflow, be it a big airstone, powerhead, or a HOB filter. All my FW tanks have at least 2 things providing waterflow/movement.

More flow = better!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
bvlester

I run up to 3200g/h flow in my 110g DT I say upto as I do not run all the power heads at one time but on ocation I will run them all for about half an hour then back to normal rotation.

Bill
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

Thank-you for the reply sir, I appreciate it very much!!! I will be sure to pick up a powerhead in the next week or so!! Thanks so much!! Take care,
Kennan
Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

So..how many powerheads are you running at any given time? I'm wondering how many I should maybe be running in my 77ga tank?
Kennan
Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

It depends on the type of corals you plan on keeping but I would aim for at least 20x/hour for the volume of your tank and go up from there if necessary. Some SPS tanks flow is up around 80-100x per hour.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krg View Post
So..how many powerheads are you running at any given time? I'm wondering how many I should maybe be running in my 77ga tank?
Kennan

in my 72 i have a vortec mp 10 (1550 gph) and a vortec mp 20 ( 2000 gph) plus what ever my return puts out at 5 feet of head... my tank is going to be mostley SPS and LPS
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM

This tank is going to be a FOWLR, as I don't have room for a sump or a skimmer. I'm considering turning a 60ga into a tank with corals and 'community' fish. Planning on going to Calgary this week, and I want to check out a shop or two. Any recommendations? I heard Golds is a really good shop, so I plan on going there. If the prices are good there, maybe I'll buy my powerhead there!!
Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. Thanks for replying guys, much appreciated!!
Kennan
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I run:
- 2 Vortech MP40W's
- 2 #4 Koralia's with wavemaker controller
- Mag 18 return pump

All them together are equal to 11,000 Gallons per hour of momement, give or take. Of course there is a little loss from head room of the return pump... As others stated it depends on what coral you have, but I will put something out there... Remember the wild is not a gentle place, nor is it really calm, if you go scuba or snorkling do you see dietrus and crap on the rocks? I don't, so I believe the more movement of water the better.

Have fun!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM

I would think though that with more movement in the water, wouldn't all the poop and other stuff just be suspended in the water then?