Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road
Default Eurobracing Question

I figure I would ask here, before I try this at home, because there are so many smart people around here...anyways...My 75g has a eurobracing that is 2 inches wide all around. It's not a one piece deal, but 4. When I had the tank built for me, I was a typical noob, so just getting the tank was a happy day. Now that I'm into the hobby more and more, I'm finding things I wish I would have done. I would really like to have a thicker eurobrace...say 4 inches wide, and have my return plumbing come through it, and then run a couple O.M. revolutions set up.

1) The glass on the tank is 1/2 starphire...Can I pull the back and side bracing off with the tank full and add the new pieces

2) Is it better to drain the tank down a bit and attempt this

3) Should I just have a new tank built?

That tank is 20inches high...thanks guys
Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

You didn't state your tank dimensions, but I think I can answer your question.

If the tank is 1/2" glass and only 20" high, you don't need eurobracing for a 75g. Take it off and leave it off. This is somewhat dependant on the tank dimensions, so better post these and i'll double check.

I'd be really hesitant to put a 4" euro on a tank that size. You will really limit your access.

If you really want the brace to hold your return plumbing, put a triangle piece in the corners.

The tank I just had built is a little bigger, but I learned a lot in the process. If you interested, you can read about it here: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...66&postcount=8 - There are some notes on glass thickness in the post.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Ah, new I forgot something...the tank is 48 x 18 x 20 high...I'm going to double check the thickness when I get home, but I'm fairly sure it's 1/2. Thanks for the link too...I'm headed over there now. I'm always looking to take others idea's and apply the good ones