Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road
Default coral beauty missing a chunk of fin?

well my coral beauty which i have only had for a month appears to be missing a decent chunk of fin? will it ever grow back? not sure if its fin rot or if it was bitten off by another fish? the bottom chunk is missing.

what can i do?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

It'll come back, i've had some of my fishes fins bitten off and they always grew back.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I've found that damaged fins heal at different rates depending on the species. So far I've observed damaged fins heal on a Mandarin Dragonet, Maroon Clownfish and the latest boo boo is my Yellow Tang. The Dragonet and Clownfish healed fairly quickly, less than a week for the Clown a bit longer for the Dragonet. Of course it depends on the extent of the damage as well. My Yellow Tang has had a relatively small section missing for well over a month now (near the lower end of the Dorsal Fin), just doesn't seem to want to close up. Looks like a small bite mark although he's more or less one of the tank bosses, maybe he got a little close to my Maroon's clutch of eggs, I dunno.

As far as Angelfish go, I have a Singapore (Vermiculated) and he's never had a damaged fin since I've had him, so I can't comment on how quickly an Angelfish might heal. Try to ensure your water quality is good, which we all do anyhow right? and chances are your dude will heal up fairly quickly. Other than that there's not much to do except observe. If he's swimming around normally and eating ok, should be no reason to be concerned, other than it doesn't look too nice.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 PM

he seems to be swimming around fine, and still eating well!

i do weekly water changes, so quality should be fine. i will keep an eye on her and hopefully things begin to look up.

thanks everyone!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Fins are a little like fingernails. It show grow back - as stated, some grow faster than others.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 PM

well just an update, the fin is fully grown back and she is doing great!

thanks

Kevin
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

My Coral Beauty is an accident looking for a place to happen. I've had him going on three years now and he's had more scrapes, cuts and owies than all the other fish combined. From getting his head stuck in a PH to getting his fat little body wedged in the rockwork, he's always sporting some kind of war wound. Stupid Fish!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM

lol i would have to agree with you lance! its a nice fish but not very bright! gets into all sorts of stupid positions. But seems like like everyfish in my tank and follows them around peacefully seeing what they're up to, its funny to watch, Lol she wont even leave my goby alone!