Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road
Default Ever get bored?

Does any of you ever get bored of your aquarium? I don't know if it's just because it's summer and I have so many other things to do.

My tank is growing like crazy and when I see 2 corals almost touching cause they are growing into each other I get frustrated cause I don't want to get out the fragging tools and frag it to prevent them stinging each other.

Someone asked me today how a frag that I got from him was doing and I was sort of embarassed to say that I haven't even looked at it since I got it (last weekend). Partly because my frag tank is on a reverse lighting schedule.

I used to test CA, Mg, Alk every 2 weeks but I haven't tested it in probably a month and a half.

I still keep my tank clean and clean with the magnet every 3 days. I still do weekly water changes. I still feed the fish (although I used to feed frozen daily, I now feed pellet/flake due to laziness). I still sit on the couch and admire it. But it seems I've lost the "spark". Sort of like the spark when you're dating (for all you marrieds out there). I know that I'm never allowed an upgrade so that means no new livestock for me cause my tank is already borderline overcrowded.

Just wondering if it's just me.

Last edited by Dez; 07-10-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 AM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road

Im feeling that way too this week lol blame the heat! my tank is the last thing on my mind when Im sitting on a patio with a bucket of beers
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 AM

Ken is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi, Naw I never get bored of them, started my first aquarium in 1970 and stll at them, wife bought a new home theatre 60 inch sony lcd etc, etc and I still rather sit in the fish room and watch the widescreen tank, regards Ken
Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm more or less going through the same thing you are, but I wouldn't say I'm bored, just super super busy. So ya, I've got colonies bumping into each other, I've accidentally made some frags that fell onto the sand bed while cleaning and I'm just too busy to do anything about it at the moment. Still doing my regular maintenance. I think part of it also is because our tanks are somewhat "dialed in" or on "auto-pilot" as they say. There's not much that needs to be done really. I used to test the big 3 religiously as well but found that they never changed once I lined the doser up with the tanks needs. I too haven't tested those in a while

This is actually kind of a blessing I think. Just sort of sit back and enjoy, especially since it is summer and all

Last edited by kien; 07-10-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 AM

snow1 is on a distinguished road

For me it's not that I get bored with tank but I get bored with the fish. I like to switch things up from time to time for example like comming into saltwater.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 AM

bill_e is on a distinguished road

when i get bored ,i think of what it would be like when its gone.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 AM

snow1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_e View Post
when i get bored ,i think of what it would be like when its gone.
ahhh good point, then it would be really boring.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Hey Dez I know a few people who would have no problem visiting you and "helping" you cut frags You know....just for the overall health of your corals and all

Honestly I do sort of get bored, but when I got bored of the 60g I added a 15g when I got bored of those I added a 30g and a 120g, when I got bored of those I added a 230g reef, when I got bored of my reef tank I added a 230g FOWLR. Then just recently I got bored of the 230g fowlr so I added a 20g sps cube. Now I got so many sps frags in the 20g cube I'm thinking of upgrading it to a larger 80g (ish) cube. Needless to say at this rate I'll have more tanks then living space Good thing I have a large house
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Hey Dez I know a few people who would have no problem visiting you and "helping" you cut frags You know....just for the overall health of your corals and all

Honestly I do sort of get bored, but when I got bored of the 60g I added a 15g when I got bored of those I added a 30g and a 120g, when I got bored of those I added a 230g reef, when I got bored of my reef tank I added a 230g FOWLR. Then just recently I got bored of the 230g fowlr so I added a 20g sps cube. Now I got so many sps frags in the 20g cube I'm thinking of upgrading it to a larger 80g (ish) cube. Needless to say at this rate I'll have more tanks then living space Good thing I have a large house
That's what I used to do was to upgrade to keep new stuff coming in. But it's pretty much impossible for me to do now. I have no chance of an upgrade if I want to stay married . I like all the stuff in my tank now. I do want to sell some corals to buy other corals but I can't be bothered to list them and arrange for people to come over. So I just live with what I have (and I'm very satisfied with it), but I guess like Kien says, it feels like I'm just coasting. I don't need any new equipment, I don't need any more livestoack, I don't need any more fish.....so it's not like I dream about going to the LFS to see "what's new" anymore. I'm thinking about trying LEDs for my frag tank, but I can't spend that kind of money when what I have works.

I will just count my blessings and be satisfied I guess
Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

No Dez.... it is not just you.

I think this is how Multiple Tank Syndrome is born.