Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 AM

snow1 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with marine salt -setting up a new tank-

HI all, this is my first thread on this forum and I need some advice. So advise me.
Tomorrow I'm getting my 175g salt tank. I'm only going to be saving enough water for the live rock. I have a 160g bucket of saltwater salt. Some say that if I add the salt into the tank with prime while I'm filling the tank up it will cloud it and it won't be good? Why is that? I know that when it comes time and I'm doing a water change I should mix the stuff a day before.....well I now don't have a day.
So how would I go about doing this? Should I fill the tank up and every 2 mins add a cupful of salt to the tank? OR should I add half the bucket when I'm starting to fill and tank and the rest after I'm done filling the tank. I don't really know how to go about doing this so any adivce on how to add salt to this tank when I'm filling it up? Much tank-u.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Come to my place in Burnaby & I'll loan you a couple of 55 gallon barrels for mixing your saltwater & then pumping it into your tank if you want.

Anthony
Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

shoot I don't think that's really an option for me tomorrow b/c until I go pick up the tank I won't have a transportation. Any other thoughts?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

So I'm assuming that you're buying the tank used.

If you have enough money for the live rock you'll be good there.

Are you trying to find a place for the livestock? If so, see if you can get a small tank or bucket, or brand new garbage bin and make enough salt water for that container. Put the livestock in that while you are filling your 175 gallon tank.

Then once the 175 gallon tank is filled and cleared up. Move everything into it.

That's what I have done in the past.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I think you need to give more information. Like if the system is new/used or up and running somewhere else. If you plan on putting livestock in right away. Makes a huge difference, so you need to paint a better/larger picture.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM

I'm buying the tank used. It comes with live rock but NO fish. I'm planning to add some fish in on aug 6th when I get back from my trip. The tank is fully running right now.

What I'm trying to ask has nothing to do with the live stock.
I'm just unsure on how or what kind of way I should add the new salt to the tank when I'm setting up the tank. Keep in mind that I can't mix ahead of time. Any help would be awsome as I'm going to pick it up in a few hours....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM

bump plz.....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

I take it your getting just enough water to transport the live rock. So what I would do is go get a large rubbermaid bin. They are cheap and will probably hold most of your rock. When you get home throw the rock and used water in there with a heater and a powerhead. That should keep the rock in fairly good condition until your tank is ready for it. Then i'd get the tank to the spot where you want it and make sure its level. If its level or reasonably close your good to go. I would then put in some eggcrate and then put in the desired amount of washed sand. The eggcrate just helps keep sharp rock points off your bottom glass. I would then fill the tank half way with RO water or whatever your using and once its about half full slowly mix in small amounts of salt until you get it to the right level. Ideally you should let it stir and mix up good for a couple days before adding live rock. Once you do end up transfering over the live rock it should be close to full and your on your way.

Last edited by Jfish; 07-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 PM

frd72 is on a distinguished road

for me not a good idea to start salt water tank and leave for trip/ holiday..
it will require your close attention for the first few weeks or months for cycling process..
and that's the only way to mix salt is to have it ahead of time, mix it properly with the right temperature and correct salinity..

Last edited by frd72; 07-09-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks all for your help. I'm leaving in 2.5 weeks for my trip. I hope everything will be good by then. I'm useing my rubbermaids to transport the LR. I'll leave it in the bucket until the tank is ready to go. Thanks for you help everyone.I will just play it by ear from here. I'm off to go get it now.