Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM

Llamarama is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Question about cycling with LR

Hiya!~
This might be a bit of a noob question but having dealt with only FW i'm not sure what the difference is.
We put together a 25Gal tank filled it with sand and SW and added about 20 LBS of cured live rock to start with and get the cycle going....
It's been 3 weeks and ammonia is reading 0 but nitrite is 5ppm + and nitrate is 0
Could there be some reason the bacteria turning nitrite to nitrate is not growing? is there a way to speed it up?

Last edited by Llamarama; 06-27-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 PM
bvlester

you are on your way it takes time I would add a bit more LR to help along the process. your nitrate should start going up but if you have algae growing you can get a false negative as algae uses the nitrates as food so it is there but it is being consumed.

When i start a new tank I start with some live sand and the second week I add some Live rock and the 3 week I add more live rock. I barley notice a cycle at all I also use cycle in week 1 and 3 this helps the bio filter get established.

Bill
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Llamarama is on a distinguished road

thanks I was told to stay away from live sand from the chain stores since there's no expire date on them so we just got a big bag of aragonite sand ...planning on getting about another 10-15 lbs of live rock in the next few days so maybe that will help

thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarama View Post
Hiya!~
This might be a bit of a noob question but having dealt with only FW i'm not sure what the difference is.
We put together a 25Gal tank filled it with sand and SW and added about 20 LBS of cured live rock to start with and get the cycle going....
It's been 3 weeks and ammonia is reading 0 but nitrite is 5ppm + and nitrate is 0
Could there be some reason the bacteria turning nitrite to nitrate is not growing? is there a way to speed it up?
Patience. You are almost there.
You do not have to add more sand or rock at this time and you will not risk a re cycle.
Remember wait a month after the cycle to add your first fish and add one fish each month unless they are tiny.