Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Sumfingwong is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie here with some questions about my cycling tank

I have recently converted my 65g to salt about 1.5 weeks ago.
I am using:

- eheim cannister filter (2 days ago I packed it full of carbon, before that there was ceramic and bio balls for my freshwater setup)
- Aquamedic Turboflotor. I only turn it on when im home during the break in period.
- I added 15 lbs originally with cured/cycled LR from a LFS. 4 days later, I picked up another 8 lbs of live rock from another LFS. The LR was from a display tank, so it was packed with coraline algae and hitchhikers (1 crab, 3 hermit crabs)
- I added 3 yellowtail damsels this past sunday to help with the cycle

I have been feeding the damsels with flake food, and I also noticed when I picked up the first LR, there must have been a crab, because I found a claw floating at the water line.. and the body of the crab is at the bottom of my tank. I figure I would leave the body so it can add to the ammonia to kick start the cycle.

im also beginning to see the brown algae (which I have read to be a good sign of a cycle) Actually, its just brownish stuff hanging off the LR, so I am assuming its the brown algae.

The latest readings were
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0 ppm
nitrate - 5

With these readings what does it mean? The tank is only 1.5 weeks old, would I be getting nitrate this fast? Was the LR I picked up recently packed with so much bacteria, my tank didnt go through a proper cycle?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
bvlester

by using LR and introducing it in steps it is possible to shorten the cycle When I cycle I also use live sand either from a friends tank or the LFS as they now sell Live sand it costs a tun but worth it if it's new stock the older stuff may have some live stuff in it but I would think that there is not much left. So if you get live sand from a LFS then get new stock.

A nitrate spike at 1.5 week is not uncommon when using live rock you at all should not add any thing to your tank till the full month has gone by. Two months if you can wait that long let the brown algae go through its paces it will grow and grow and one day if you have enough circulation and have done your water changes at the right time it will go away don't fight with it. Green hair algae will grow next don't fight it shorten the light cycle allot and it will not last as long as some people have experienced. The HA you have to pluck as much as you can because when it dies and it releases the phosphates back into the water.

the best thing to do is read as much as you can and ask questions and before you get fish setup a QT very important to have QT and use it.
Bill
Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 PM

Sweet, thanks for the info.

As for sand, I will be going with no sand. Currently I have the 2 pieces of LR sitting on eggcrate.

I am also picking up 50 lbs from a fellow canreef member this weekend to add to the tank.

When should I do my next water change? I have not done one since I started the tank (only topped off the tank, because of the skimmer)

Here is a pic of what it looks like now. I added the eggcrate last night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[2].jpg (38.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

From my limited experience adding a large amount of cured live rock can quickly cycle a tank. I think its best to add the majority of your live rock or as much as you can afford at the start so that in a month when you want to add more live rock you dont get another cycle. Sure its expensive stuff but good quality live rock houses all that benificial bacteria that keeps our tanks going and was one of the best investments in my tank.
Im not sure if the twenty some pounds you put in would cycle the tank that quickly, especially since you recently just added fish. Either way cycle or not the process has started and I would not add anything else for at least another month besides maybe a small clean up crew. Keep testing you water and reading as much as possible.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Too late, I am picking up the live rock this sat. Ill keep everybody posted.

I may pick up a new testing kit, mine is about 1.5 years old.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

Yeah, more live rock would be fine. If its coming from an established system and you keep it in water during transport there would be minimal die off and probably wouldnt cause a huge spike.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM

ill try to keep it in water. He lives about a 5 minute drive from my house. So hopefully there wont be a problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfingwong View Post
Sweet, thanks for the info.

As for sand, I will be going with no sand. Currently I have the 2 pieces of LR sitting on eggcrate.

I am also picking up 50 lbs from a fellow canreef member this weekend to add to the tank.

When should I do my next water change? I have not done one since I started the tank (only topped off the tank, because of the skimmer)

Here is a pic of what it looks like now. I added the eggcrate last night
You should never use live fish to cycle a tank. You are putting them through necessary stress
Please return the fish to the LFS. Did they tell you to use damsals to cycle a tank?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 PM
bvlester

cycling with live fisg also burns their gills. you can do a small water change before you get the new rock then I would weight till after the 1 month mark. For a tank to fully cycle it can take upto 6 months to establish a tank completly. useing cured live rock will speed up the cycle but not much a 4 week cycle time maybe sped up to a 3 week cycle time.
Have to run and pick up me daughter but I will keep an eye on this thread.

Bill
Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 AM

He told me I can use Damsels, and I have read where people can use them. They seem happy, and not stressed.. they are super blue right now. If I see any signs of stress, I will return them. However, this weekend.. my 2 buddies are doing a water change, and they said they will drop some buckets off at my house when they are done. Both tanks have been running for 2+ years. Would it be a good idea to use their water?

Thanks for all the help