Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road
Default anemone keeps walking

well it seems everynight i go to bed and shut the tank light off and wake up the next morning my bubble tip has walked to a new position, the first night he moved a couples inches down to another rock, and than this morning i found him at the bottom of my tank in the sand? how can i prevent him from walking around to much and getting sucked up into my powerhead..

its only been two days since i got him, so i plan on feeding him tonight.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I dont think there is a way to make him station. He will eventually stay once he found a good location but if something happens to tank like a new flow or new light, he is gonna walk again.

I would love to hear if someone knows how to make him stay in one spot.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM

lol its pretty neat to watch him, he kinda rolls about. But im a little un easy with him movin around about the tank.

i guess i need to do more research for lighting, so far i have been running my t5's for about 10-12hrs a day and then just natural to no light at all.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 PM

Ian is on a distinguished road

Mine was in the same place for months and then anbout 3 months it split. now both move around a fair bit it seems they can't find a nice comfy place. for what its worth they are both growing and seem very healthy.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:24 PM

and you dont have any concerns about it possibly getting sucked up by the powerhead? it seems to be nice a healthy looking, bubble tips look great, i kinda feel bad though, its walking around and all my clowns wont leave him alone. lol
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

It sucks when it starts to move. My bubble rose tip anemone end up getting sucked up by the powerhead. Also killing most of coral that on his path.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM

so i should be concerned than. I would hate to see it get hurt, maybe if it find a nice rock again i will move it to the opposite end of the tank and hope all goes well.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

In the meantime... cover up those powerheads...
Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I had a bubble tip for about a year until I sold it and I've observed them in 4 friends tanks in the past. From what I've seen they never really stop moving around. Occasionally they take a break for a little while but then they're on the road again in no time. If you dont have anything else with them that could get stung and your intakes are well guarded its not such a big deal. But if you plan on loading your tank up with coral at some point you may want to pass it on to someone else eventually.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 PM

my powerhead sits quite high in the tank, but i will be putting some mesh around it when i get home, providing i still have an anemone. so far all i have in my tank is 4 clown fish, and dont plan on adding anything else for a while.