Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM

bryceschutte is on a distinguished road
Default LF: Anything and everything! Just getting started.

Hello all! UPDATE: I'm set up and started!

I am new to the forum and am already very excited to adsorb a tonne of knowledge. I have had multiple fresh water and brackish water tanks in my life time.

Now I really want to make the jump to saltwater. So I come to the Calgary members to help me get started. I am going to have a lot of time on my hands for the next few months but not a lot of money. Long story short, I will be on short term disability.

I am looking to start a tank from scratch. I have 2 tanks that I am debating on using as my first attempt. A 45 gal bow front or a 110 gal. Went with the 45 gal for now. I'm thinking the bow front because I for surly cannot afford the sand and live rock to get started as is. I have filters, lights, and a test kit that will work to get me started but I am reaching out for some assistance with a few other things for either really cheap or free.

Power heads - Anyone have one laying around?

Protein skimmer - I am debating on doing the DIY one listed in the forum but would need some assistance.
Decided that it can wait. Just need more water changes.

Live or dead rock - I am very willing to start with a small piece and add enough dead rock ( is that what you call it?) and wait the 3 months or whatever it takes for it all to be alive.
I was able to purchase 30lbs of live rock from P_mantis and got some not so live rock donated by whiteangelbw

Sand - From what I have been reading I can once again use not live sand and "seed" with some live sand. Either way I need both.
Half bag live sand donated by Coleus

Current pumps - I know there is a better word for theses. Just cant remember (NOOB!)
Useing my fluval 201

Live stock - This will have to wait awhile until the tank is well set up.
I have a clown on the way once my tank gets set up. Donated by P_mantis

Knowledge / a friend - Someone willing to take me under their wing and teach me how to get started the correct way.

I am willing to trade services for any or all of the things I need listed above. I can babysit your tank while you are on holidays not that I know anything about saltwater. I am great with computers and Iphone / Ipads. I can also jailbreak them for you. I was a gold smith for many years so i can give advice or repairs on anything Jewellery related. I am currently selling Used vehicles at Sunridge Nissan and can give you a really great deal on a vehicle.

I have wanted to get into this hobby since I saw my first Trigger fish. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bryceschutte; 06-13-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts

welcome to canreef.

you can find skimmers on here for cheap.

live rock you can find good deals on it base rock helps save money. one of the vendors has a sale on right now 50lbs for $185 shipping included.

you can buy live sand or you can seed some sand.

as for salt what ever floats your boat.( i use d-d h2ocean)

refractor meter is the way to go. i have a spare one and can ship it down to you.

powerheads depends on tank size and what your keeping.

let the games begin. you,ll get lots of info from canreefer,s. go out and meet some reefers, pick their brains, come up with a plan.
and have fun.
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 06-08-2010, 02:49 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

i wouldn't waste time with dry rock, i have 30lbs of it and so far its quite boring. lol although benefical in the long run, Alot of guys sell their fully cured live rock on here for 4$ a pound. i would keep an eye out for that cuz its worth it. unless you play the waiting game.

eg. i purchased the 30lbs of dry rock for 4.99$ a pound, expensive, you can find live rock for cheaper on this site,

welcome to the site. Im still learning more than i can remember, its actually quite scary!

everyone i have dealt with have been great people, and eager and willing to help!

enjoy the reefing!

kevin

Last edited by kevNnic; 06-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynuts View Post
welcome to canreef.

you can find skimmers on here for cheap.

live rock you can find good deals on it base rock helps save money. one of the vendors has a sale on right now 50lbs for $185 shipping included.

you can buy live sand or you can seed some sand.

as for salt what ever floats your boat.( i use d-d h2ocean)

refractor meter is the way to go. i have a spare one and can ship it down to you.

powerheads depends on tank size and what your keeping.

let the games begin. you,ll get lots of info from canreefer,s. go out and meet some reefers, pick their brains, come up with a plan.
and have fun.
Wow. Thanks for the uber fast reply. What do you want for the refractor? HA HA I dont even know what I does but it sounds like I need one.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:33 PM

your refractor meter measures your salinty, and your specific gravity which is the amount of salt in your water, I beleive most like to keep it around 1.024. As water evaporates your specific gravity will increase because the salt doesnt evaporate, so topping up your tank and consisitant water changes will keep it where you want it to be!

hope that makes some sense.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

whiteangelbw is on a distinguished road

Hi Bruce, I am the one who recommened the site to you from kijiji. There are alot of helpful people on here and they are great. A refractometer is for measuring the salinity of your water, they are great to have. I do have a 250 watt Stealth heater for you (never been opened) and some used to be live rock but now dry. I had some in my tank and after a few months couldn't tell the difference between the live and dry. I will let you know when I am coming in to the city next.
Angela
Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 PM

slough shark is on a distinguished road

Are those tanks you have drilled?
derek
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevNnic View Post
i wouldn't waste time with dry rock, i have 30lbs of it and so far its quite boring. lol although benefical in the long run, Alot of guys sell their fully cured live rock on here for 4$ a pound. i would keep an eye out for that cuz its worth it. unless you play the waiting game.

eg. i purchased the 30lbs of dry rock for 4.99$ a pound, expensive, you can find live rock for cheaper on this site,

welcome to the site. Im still learning more than i can remember, its actually quite scary!

everyone i have dealt with have been great people, and eager and willing to help!

enjoy the reefing!

kevin
I would love to go with pretty live rock from the start, but BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET. I have very limited funds to get started but a tonne of time. I will have more money after the summer.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM

there is someone on here right now selling LR for 2.50$ a pound, there are alot of great deals to be had which will end up being less than the dry rock most likly is what i was getting at. I baught my LR for cheaper than my dry rock..

but it definetly takes time!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteangelbw View Post
Hi Bruce, I am the one who recommened the site to you from kijiji. There are alot of helpful people on here and they are great. A refractometer is for measuring the salinity of your water, they are great to have. I do have a 250 watt Stealth heater for you (never been opened) and some used to be live rock but now dry. I had some in my tank and after a few months couldn't tell the difference between the live and dry. I will let you know when I am coming in to the city next.
Angela
WOW thank you Angela! Where do you live? Maybe I will be heading your way soon?

P.S. I'm LOVING this site. Thanks for the recommendation.