Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 05-08-2010, 05:25 PM

concept is on a distinguished road
Default Can I add this to a FOWLR tank?

We are getting a 180gal tank to set up as a FOWLR tank, we plan on adding a Picasso Trigger, Niger Trigger or Blue Throat Trigger, Dog Face Puffer and a Moon Wrasse. We currently have a Sea Hare and a Tomini Tang in another tank, can we add these into the FOWLR tank? Sea Hares are probably not as tasty as a crab or snail and can a Tomini hold his own in that tank even though he is a smaller tang?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Welcome to Canreef!

My guess is it would probably be OK. If the Tomini is smaller maybe he should be added earlier than the others so he can establish himself first, since it's always newcomers who have to defend themselves so adding him last could be a mistake.

I don't know anything about the personalities of puffers and moon wrasses so can't offer any useful opinion on those, but otherwise the stocking list looks OK to me. Those are nice choices for triggers. There are some that have reputations for being very mean/aggressive but those 3 in particular are usually not bad at all. And you're correct about the seahare, I don't think anyone you listed would be interested in pestering the seahare.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Do you have a seahare due to a hair algae problem?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 AM

Ya we put our sea hare in our 65gal reef tank to help clean up some hair algae, after it was all gone a couple months ago he continues to grow as we feed him regularly. We really enjoy having in our tank and was hoping we can keep him in our FOWLR tank after we get it set up.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 AM

trinac is on a distinguished road

what do you feed the seahare to supplement now that the algae is gone? nori sheets?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM

Ya we put in a couple nori sheets each week, sometimes he beats the snails to it and sometimes he doesn't. Usually he just cleans around the bottom of the tank doing laps or cleaning up the back wall.