Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2002, 01:06 PM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline
Default How fast does aiptasia grow?

I scraped off a small aiptasia on my clam last week and now I have the clam in a quarantine tank. How long does it normally take for aiptasia to grow back noticably? I'd like to put my clam back into the main tank but I want to make sure that I got all of it before I do so. My main tank is free and clear of pests and I want to keep it that way! Thanks in advance [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2002, 02:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well .... hmmm I'm more worried about the clam being moved into a different tank and about to be moved back. Personally I'd just pick off the aiptasia and leave the clam in it's permanent home ... these guys stress out so easily and basically one day it will just be gone if it stresses out too much (apparently nothing takes so good to tankmates as a stressed out clam. Doesn't matter who/what the tankmates are!)

I think if you can't see the aiptasia on the shell anymore then you probably got it. The problem with aiptasia is in things like rocks or things with deep cavities/crevasses ... those are the ones you won't be able get all of them since they bury themselves so deeply. But on something like a clam shell or something like that without the deep crevasses/cavities you should be able to get all of it....

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2002, 05:51 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Mason,

It will grow fast. I noticed one in my tank two weeks ago. Since then I have been on aptasia hunts nightly with Kalk paste. SO far hte total is at about 8. :mad:

They grow very fast.

Do you know what an exponential growth pattern is?

As one turns into two those turn into two and so on and so on.. well not THAT bad.. but close.

[ 26 April 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: DJ88 ]
Old 04-26-2002, 06:05 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

You know, I've never really had a problem with aiptasia. I guess I've been pretty lucky, or, someone in my tank really likes the taste of them (I do keep a peppermint or two always!)

Now BLUE MUTANT MUSHROOMS, on the other hand ... :rolleyes:
Old 04-27-2002, 04:00 AM

Son Of Skyline is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Son Of Skyline Send a message via MSN to Son Of Skyline

Quote:
Originally posted by delphinus:
Well .... hmmm I'm more worried about the clam being moved into a different tank and about to be moved back. Personally I'd just pick off the aiptasia and leave the clam in it's permanent home ... these guys stress out so easily and basically one day it will just be gone if it stresses out too much (apparently nothing takes so good to tankmates as a stressed out clam. Doesn't matter who/what the tankmates are!)

I think if you can't see the aiptasia on the shell anymore then you probably got it. The problem with aiptasia is in things like rocks or things with deep cavities/crevasses ... those are the ones you won't be able get all of them since they bury themselves so deeply. But on something like a clam shell or something like that without the deep crevasses/cavities you should be able to get all of it....

Good luck!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info. The clam is actually doing quite well in the quarantine tank...which is actually a normal 10gal nanoreef. Maybe I'll make this tank his permanent home...until he grows out of it of course!
Old 05-01-2002, 12:20 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Hereafter to be known as TMNM (Tony's Mutant Ninja Mushrooms) I can vouch for that as I have seen them. :eek:
Old 05-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Gold Member

One_Divided is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to One_Divided

My pepermints have wiped out a few already within 4 days of adding them to my tank. I love it when things do their job! ;)
Old 05-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by delphinus:
You know, I've never really had a problem with aiptasia. I guess I've been pretty lucky, or, someone in my tank really likes the taste of them (I do keep a peppermint or two always!)

Now BLUE MUTANT MUSHROOMS, on the other hand ... :rolleyes:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm lucky, I never had aiptasia either.

Got any pics of your blue mushrooms? What makes them mutants?