Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

saltwaterseahorses is on a distinguished road
Default Would a black sailfin blenny be good with a seahorse?

? and i looked on seahorse.org and aparently it is, but i just want to make sure from all those seahorse keepers out there that there good
Old 04-24-2010, 12:41 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately the odds are that you won't fine someone that has tried that particular fish on this forum.
Best to go by the "orgs" tankmate list and if it is acceptable there the odds should be in your favour.
Of course, there are fish not recommended that sometimes work out, just as some that ARE recommended do NOT work out.
Just like reef fish compatibility, no 100% guarantee.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

ok
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

I would say no.... It would out-compete for food (most blennies are opportunistic feeders). Also, I would just hate to see it start trying to scrape algae off of a seahorse!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Banned

mk then im not gunna get one, also you said blenny, does that mean a scooter blenny wont work?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Scooter blennies have tiny mouths, eat very daintily and are more like Mandarin gobies than Lawnmower or Black Sailfin blennies.

Scooters would be fine, if it will eat frzn. foods.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

You should do alot of research on seahorses. They are not that easy to keep. You have alot of posts about what fish are compatible and a wish list of corals you are looking for. I don't know how much expereince you have or the system you own, but some of the more expereinced people don't have some of the listed corals on your list. Seahorses can be stung very easy by some corals listed. Can you describe your system and I'm sure other members will help you out with what you need to successfully keep seahorses. It will save the well being of the seahorses and alot of time and money. In my opinion they are kind of boring if your a real tank watcher.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Well first of all, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Otherwise, our tanks would probably all look the same.
Stinging corals are a problem with seahorses and so it's important to keep the TANKMATES GUIDE in mind when planning your seahorse tank.
Keep in mind also, the requirements needed for your tankmates selection as some don't handle lower temperatures or need extremely high lighting which can cause temperature issues.
Some of us don't keep tankmates of any kind, or at least keep it very minimal as the fewer tankmates, the less the chances of introducing pathogens that can affect your seahorses. I don't even keep live plants myself.
Anything you can do to minimalize problems increases your chances of success. Even doing all that you can does not guarantee success though so keep that in mind.
You have to be more diligent about everything especially husbandry to give yourself the best chances.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

ya i have been doing research for a pretty long time around 2 years
Old 04-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

I agree generally that tankmates tend to be a bad idea with seahorses. I have only ever kept them on their own or with pipefishes (although I don't even recommend this - because pipefish are usually WC and its best to get CB seahorses, so you run into cross contamination of diseases).

That being said, a dragonet/scoot blenny is probably one of the best choices as far as fish go, since they are usually very passive and shy.

I have kept mushroom corals and gorgonians with ponies... but I would suggest planning an aquarium firstly around the seahorses & their hitches. Get that tank up and running, get your ponies happy & healthy, and worry about other things later.

Really you should have 2 tanks, one for ponies and one for corals & fish.

(Or do like us when we had 1 seahorse, 2 reef, 1 fish-only, 1 coldwater, and 1 african cichlid )

-Diana