Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Is a Dendronephthya Carnation Coral...
An awesome option! 2 4.35%
A really bad idea! 19 41.30%
A little iffy? 5 10.87%
I couldn't tell you! 20 43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road
Default Dendronephthya Carnation Corals

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what everyone thought about these Carnation Corals...they're really pretty and I would like to get one but thought I should ask around about them first. So here's a poll, please let me know what you think about them for a newb like me (my tank is doing really well already with a purple Gorgonian, Candy Cane, Birds Nest, Hammers, GSP, Xenia, Sponges, Zoas and Mushrooms).
Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

They're azooxanthellate meaning they're non-photosynthetic. Unless you want to set up a specialized system like this its best to avoid them http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/feature/index.php

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-19-2010, 04:09 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

+1, carnation corals need frequent feeding which can pollute your tank. I would recommend something like streonepthya or nepthea like these:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...48&pcatid=2548

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...59&pcatid=2759

I have those and they do well.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

They're defnitely not the easiest to take care of. I've seen two azooxanthellae specific tanks (one on the net and one in person) and they were quite successful, however, I don't think a carnation will fair well in a mixed tank. I'd give a +1 to the Nepthea.

Then again, people said the same thing about many of the species that are now commonplace in our tanks. Hell, aquarium bred mandarins that eat frozen/pellet food are now available and little tricks like rock piles (for amphipods/copepods) have let them do well in tanks as small as 10 gallons, which was once thought impossible.

If you're a dedicated aquarist and are prepared for potentially a couple failures I would fully encourage you to to try your hand at them. Do your homework forst though; see what others have done, what works, what doesn't and get as good an idea what they need as possible. Only with people taking educated chances will we ever learn how to care for these creatures. Just my two bits.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 AM
bvlester

They are very hard to get to live but if you do get one to live you are doing something right most people are not. You will need to spot feed on a regular basis and I have seen where one was doing poorly and was moved to a tank with MH and they perked up the guy was spot feeding but the color was not as vibrant as it should be until it was move in to a tank with MH. so there has to some portion of it that recognizes and uses photosynthetic. I think they are not for a beginner, I would say some one with a few year experience would be needed or a very dedicated novice. I may try one in anouther year as my tank is still on the new side 9 months old.

BIll
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 PM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input everyone...As tempted as I am to try this coral, I really hate wasting money! lol