Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM

bioload is on a distinguished road
Default Bioload 75 - Reef Aquarium

My lofty goal of starting a large reef tank is on hold and I can't wait. Instead I'll be working on a more manageable system for the time being. Which will be a 75 gallon that I've drilled some time ago.

Not much to talk about at the moment but everyone will get a chance to see it take shape from the start. The bones of the system is a 75gal Perfecto and metal stand. The stand will be in a second floor bedroom turned office (mine) so providing updates would be a snap.

First thing will be getting it cleaned up and putting on the backing. Rather than paint I will be using a self adhesive vinyl film (black) that I picked up from a local sign shop today @ $15 for 5' x 2.5'. I like using black which adds contrast to the colours in the tank. I haven't used this material for backing before so we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Vinyl isn't going on as easy as I thought it would. Looks like it is going to have to be painted. The trouble is getting a large area covered smoothly and working out all the bubbles PITA. Time to get the tank back to the garage for a coat of paint.....oh well the kids had fun making their own decals.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 PM

No much to update today. The tank is back in place for now with a fresh coat (x3) of paint.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM

Did some more work on the aquascape this weekend. Again made use of more stuff that I had stored away. The base is crushed coral which I screened to remove the larger particles leaving particles less that 1mm (yes I have way too much time on my hands at the moment). The sand bed is only 2" deep and probably not deep enough for denitrification but I like the look of the smaller grains. The rock-work is made up of lace, decorative stone, and previously live rock that resided in some of my older tanks. If I were to estimate the amount.....approx 50-60lbs

Took some time but I was able to thread some twist ties through some of the larger pieces to get them to stand together.

I like how this creates open space for livestock to swim in keeps the rock work off the sand for easy cleaning.

Here is an FTS

And from the sides.

Last edited by bioload; 04-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM

I've also placed a sheet of 3/4" MDF 2 coat prime 3 coats paint under the sand. I will later place the sump on this and will make it easier to clean up minor spills. The tank also rests on a sheet of Styrofoam and MDF.

Did I mention that this build would be pic intense!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM

cuz is on a distinguished road

really like the rock work!!!
nice job!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Nice rock work, I wish I had the patience to do that.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Update 22/04/2010

It will be some time before I get the sump ready. I'm currently working out the details of the design and will take some time. While I'm working on the sump I thought I would get a head start with cycling the tank. I started by capping the bulkheads for the drain and the return. These will be removed once the sump is ready.

The tank has been filled (salinity 1.024) and equipped with a biowheel filter and two Sure Flow powerheads.

Just waiting for the dust to clear for now.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitandwatch View Post
Nice rock work, I wish I had the patience to do that.
Thanks All!

Not too bad.....took longer to get the darn powerheads in the right spot. Which will probably be moved several more times
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Very nice scape!......I think it pays to be patient with your rock work, once its full o coral its near impossible to change
What kind of overflow are you running?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694