Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Should I use my 56 zoa colonies as food?

... I'm really getting fed up with these little pest nems, I have no ambitions to break the reef apart to hand squirt them as I have done this, only for them to return in 3 weeks time. It appears most of them are mojenos so nudies won't fix the problem.

I guess my last choice is some species of fish, I just would prefer something that isn't going massacre my zoas, lps or sps.

After some reading its down to some sort of angel, butterfly or filefish but any insight would be great!
Thanks guys.
Levi
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 AM

Dyspnea is on a distinguished road

The other option you could do is dry out the rock kill it all that way and then reseeding the rock with clean live rock later.

But shutting down and restarting isnt the best :/

a fish that eat Them is good but once the fish is removed or dies j hear they come back pretty quick
Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I have a great filefish in my tank that took care of all my pest anemones etc, however, that being said, the only coral he did eat was Zoa!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:21 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
... I'm really getting fed up with these little pest nems, I have no ambitions to break the reef apart to hand squirt them as I have done this, only for them to return in 3 weeks time. It appears most of them are mojenos so nudies won't fix the problem.

I guess my last choice is some species of fish, I just would prefer something that isn't going massacre my zoas, lps or sps.

After some reading its down to some sort of angel, butterfly or filefish but any insight would be great!
Thanks guys.
Levi
They will migrate if you put them in the dark and put a small light at one end of the tank, from there you can wipe them off the glass.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
They will migrate if you put them in the dark and put a small light at one end of the tank, from there you can wipe them off the glass.
Really , that's pretty cool I will try it tonight. The only problem is it's a 6' 180g, will they migrate all the way from the other end?

Quote:
I have a great filefish in my tank that took care of all my pest anemones etc, however, that being said, the only coral he did eat was Zoa!!!
Well that's one option out.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:40 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Really , that's pretty cool I will try it tonight. The only problem is it's a 6' 180g, will they migrate all the way from the other end?
It isn't going to happen overnight, I did it over a few days, even floating a glass jar at the surface with a small bulb will usually attract a few to move, stay away from Joe's juice on these buggers, unless you completely eradicate them they simply multiply .
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 AM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

you can try putting a large oyster shell over top and they will climb from underneath to the top of the shell toward the light. then toss out the shell.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:07 PM

I tried the light trick last night to no avail, there are far to many to try shelling them all. Any insight as far as fish goes would be greatly appriciated! The tank gets fed really well, and there is a TON of zoas in there so as long as any picking is in moderation I'm fine with it.

It has come down to a tassled file fish, bicolor angel or some species of butterfly.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

i had the file fish for well a few months never touched a thing then one day wiped out most of my acans lol so but got rid of all my apistia for a few months then it just grows back

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It has come down to a tassled file fish, bicolor angel or some species of butterfly.
I think it is the matted filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus) you are after not the tassled filefish. I tried one but it wasn't in my tank long enough to tell if it was eating the aptasia. I yanked it out since he was nibbling on my acans. They are generally not considered reef safe so just be aware of that.