Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road
Default Mechanical Filtration ?

I've got a 30 Gal tank with a Remora C skimmer on it. I find that fish and other critters are stirring up a lot of sediment and the tank clouds. I'm thinking of adding some form of mechanical filtration like a canister filter to remove this stuff since the skimmer isn't.

I've been warned that these filters can become a problem (nitrate factory). I'm ok with cleaning it regularly and I really want to clean up the water.

I thought of buying a tried and true Aquaclear HOB unit but I'm looking at running bio-pelets in a reactor as well so perhaps a canister filter of some sort
would be better so I can plumb the reactor into the return line ?

Any words of wisdom on how to go about this ?

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:37 PM

RIPTANK is on a distinguished road

First, I would strongly recommend investing in a better skimmer like the Tunze 9002. The Remora skimmers are really poor at skimming. Had one and gave it away...

I run a Fluval 305 filled entirely with carbon in all 6 compartments on a 20 gallon and it keeps the water crystal clear. Great for LPS and fowler tanks but not for SPS.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM

I haven't been thrilled with the Remora actually (I get very little skimmate out of it). That issue aside, a skimmer is supposed to remove proteins from the water but doesn't appear to do much for particulate suspended in the water column -hence the interest in some kind of mechanical filter to physically remove 'bits'.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

something like use suggest, Aquaclear HOB, seems like a good idea. Fill it full of floss or foam pads. I wouldn't be fearful of a nitrate bomb taking out your tank but you'll need to clean or replace the media every once and while.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM

ksalt is on a distinguished road

You need to keep it all suspend in the water column so that the particulate goes into the filter / skimmer. i.e. add flow HTH
Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

If you had a sump, then you could put the drain from the DT into one of those filter socks and clean that out every 2-3 days.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Hey, I have a aquaclear, let me know if you want it, will give it to you cheap.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Many conventional powerheads, AquaClear for eg, offer an optional accessory 'cage' that may be fitted with a cylindrical poly filter. Easy to pop on and off, so no problem to clean/replace, plus you get the added water movement. One of those should polish your 30 fairly quickly. I use a Rena XP canister to run carbon but no longer put any other pads or filters in there, too much of a hassle to clean regularly. If you go the canister route you may be able to run those bio pellets in there without a separate reactor, dunno what those pellets do or how they work.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-06-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 AM

ok, lots of god persepctive here. Let me ask this then: Do you run just a skimmer or do you run both a skimmer and some form of mechanical filtration ?

For the sake of simplicity, let's limit this to those who DON'T have a sump because that changes the equation too much.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I run my sumpless system with a DIY counter current wooden air diffuser skimmer and as mentioned, a Rena XP2 canister filter with a bag of carbon only. Actually I'm using an XP3 motor on the smaller XP2 container, ended up breaking too many mounting tabs on the XP3 container. I suppose the carbon bag itself acts as a bit of a mechanical filter in that it traps a certain amount of debris. It's nothing like a dedicated foam or poly pad though.

The only critter that occasionally messes with the sand bed (medium to deep in some areas) is my Maroon Clownfish female. Lately though, as my tank has matured, the sand bed is getting a bit of a 'crust' on it, preventing her from stirring it up at all. I stir it up manually from time to time to break the crust. Not sure why the crust is forming, I suspect it's because I've been keeping my calcium levels a little higher (above 400) with the occasional dosing. I use regular IO salt for water changes and that's known to be low, although the newer mix is supposedly higher.

FYI, I have two VorTech MP40Ws providing flow and although they're dialed down a bit, create quite an undertow and powerful movement throughout the system. If anything was going to stir up the sand, it would be them and that hasn't really happened, even when I had only one cranked up to 100%. Maybe that's why my tank is fairly clear, these pumps do not allow anything of a certain particle size to hang around in the system for very long. The VorTechs are about 3.25 inches from the surface at either end.

You don't mention how long your system has been running. I've found that as it matured, the sand bed became less likely to be stirred up. Seems to me I've read that most sand beds will do this, get 'heavier' with age and less prone to being kicked up, something about bacterial & critter colonization. Finally, I also ran a Remora C Pro with a Mag 3 pump and was not that pleased with it's performance, nor the excessive noise made by the injector nozzle. There are mods to deaden the noise, but I'm happy to be back to the old school, very quiet DIY skimmer. It does quite well and uses very little power. I have no problem changing the wooden air diffusers occasionally, compared to the power consumption and noise of the Remora. My skimmer uses a small AquaClear powerhead in a pre-skimmer box in the display to circulate the water. The pre-skimmer box also collects a fair amount of crud so if your Remora C does not have the pre-skimmer box that's available, that may be something to look at for improving performance and capturing additional debris. Drawback is that the box will take up a fair amount of real estate in your 29 gal.

EDIT: as an alternative to the pre-skimmer box, you could try one of these cheapo surface skimmer contraptions. Most LFS will stock these, takes a bit of fiddling and tuning and they'll still take some water from the lower intake. Much smaller footprint in the tank though. I hooked one to the Mag 3 and I'm pretty sure it helped:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/pf...e+Skimmer.html

So in the end, depending on the age of your system, depth of your sandbed and granule size, it may boil down to a matter of time to let it mature and perhaps some better flow to keep stuff suspended so your skimmer can remove it. Mechanical filtration may be a good option for the time being.

Last edited by mike31154; 04-07-2010 at 03:13 PM.