Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road
Default Sump for 33Gal

Hello Canreef! not only am i new to the forums, im new to the whole aquarium set up to begin with. Im currently running a 33gal tank, heater, 2 pumps for water movement, and skimmer. Contents in the tank are 6 chromis, 4 hermit crab and some weird red eyed crab i got with the 39lbs of live rock. Id like to build a sump to hide the skimmer and heater, what size of sump would be recommended for the size of tank and does anyone know a good sump 101 article? thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

At least half your tank. Bigger if possible. Think of what chambers you want in there and the size of the equipment you are going to put in.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 AM

Dolf is on a distinguished road

How much room do you have? A larger volume of water will help with stability- both in the case of something dead and salinity. I suppose it will all depend on what you want in your sump. Adding live rock? Cheato? A deep sand bed? Bioballs? internal or external skimmer? Filter socks? Internal return pump or external? An automatic top off? Any reactors? Do you have the space for a 220 Gal sump on your tank ?

Yes, a million questions (my whole role on the board is comprised of increasing the total number of questions rather than just answer them.) I will see if I can not find an article on a sump and sump design- but for now I would say look at some of the build threads.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

I have the same size tank, & I went with a 25 gal sump that works for my needs, I have the skimmer section, return & Fuge. If you search for threads started by my name you might be able to find the pics of it.

Never mind, here it is: http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59473
Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 AM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info guys, guess ill sit down with a pen and paper and try to come up with a design. That looks awesome Toxic, much cleaner, i just got a phosban reactor and these 1/2" hoses are quickly becoming an eyesore.