Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road
Default Vortech MP40w to replace existing powerheads

I have a typical 90 gallon tank with some LPS and softies. For flow I have a Koralia 3, a Koralia 2, two Maxijet 1200's with rotating Hydor deflectors and a Maxijet 400. My return pump is also flowing about 250 gph through the tank.
Can I replace all or most of the powerheads with a single MP40W?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM

blueyota is on a distinguished road

to reach all areas of the tank i would say 2 mp40s would work better then one so you have flow from both sides to get hidden detritus ...IMO
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Agree with yota, two MP40Ws will have no trouble replacing all the hardware you have in there now. The added advantage of being able to synchronize or anti-synchronize the two VorTechs will provide flexibility in flow patterns not achievable by what you're currently using.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM

The problem is two MP40Ws will pretty much replace the contents of my bank account, and I would likely also be looking for a replacement significant other. I may have to settle for one MP40W and keep a couple of the old powerheads.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Reid

I have a MP40W on my 95 gal and am still using 3 extra powerheads in there.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
The problem is two MP40Ws will pretty much replace the contents of my bank account, and I would likely also be looking for a replacement significant other. I may have to settle for one MP40W and keep a couple of the old powerheads.
Understood and I'm with you there, price shock for sure. I started with a single MP40W for my 77 gal and added the second about a year later. Purchased the first one retail and then started scouring the buy/sell forums for good deals on used ones. Ended up scoring a NIB on another forum from a member that had a change of plans and was selling a number of extras. Great deal on a new pump.

Even on my 77 (4 foot long tank) I needed to use older powerheads to supplement flow at the other end of the tank. One of your Koralias should do a good job at that, I had to settle for the narrow flow of a couple of AquaClears.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-18-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM

I located a used MP40W, about two years old. Does anyone know what the lifespan is of these pumps?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I located a used MP40W, about two years old. Does anyone know what the lifespan is of these pumps?
My first one is almost two years old and still going strong. It was originally a Gen 1 and I've done the magnet/firmware upgrade... new shaft, bearing etc. If you haven't fired it up, go for it and you'll know fairly quickly whether it needs some service. There is a ceramic bearing which is considered a wear item requiring replacement eventually. Similar to an impeller replacement on conventional powerheads. Other than that, as long as the remaining moving parts and electronics are ticking, it should run relatively trouble free for years to come. Keep the dry side dry and keep the driver away from moisture and you're good to go.

One of the bonuses of these pumps is that many components are easily replaced by you, the user. A new wetside is pretty reasonably priced, so although the initial investment is expensive, these pumps will probably save you money in the long haul.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Vortech failure rate

I was asking around at a couple LFS in Calgary and was told that the failure rates of the Vortechs are over 50%. Both guys told me that they no longer sell them because so many were coming back defective in the first few weeks of use. I am not sure who to believe now. The EchoTech Marine forum on RC seems very well supported by president of the company and I don't see a lot of unhappy customers.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM

dreef is on a distinguished road

I have nothing but good to say about ecotech products and support.Mine's going to be 2 yrs. old in a few months.Zero problems, best money spent,i just ordered another one

Last edited by dreef; 03-22-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo