Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 03-09-2010, 03:11 AM

hlywd is on a distinguished road
Exclamation FX5 Microbubbles!!!!!!

I have a Fluval FX5 on my 54 gallon fish and coral tank. The microbubbles it is spitting out is ridiculous. I've tried to clean it, replaced the carbon and phosphate, I've tried tightening all of the parts, and it just seems to be getting worse. I've been testing different combination's of protein skimmer(RemoraC Pro) and fx5, and although the protein skimmer does contribute slightly (more because of the power head breaking up the initial bubbles), the FX5 is definitely the culprit.

So, for someone that is not very technically sound, what do I do next?!?!?! I'm getting very frustrated that no matter what I try I can't fix the bubble problem.

Is there anyone in Calgary I can have fix this issue? Can I take it somewhere for them to figure out?

I hope there is help out there somewhere.....
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Why bother using a big canister filter on a saltwater tank anyways? A good protien skimmer and some powerheads/pumps for flow is all you need. Canisters and mechanical filters in general tend to create more problems for a saltwater systems than they solve. If you're only using it for carbon and GFO that would be one thing... but a phosban reactor for $50 makes a lot more sense for that application than a $350 canister. Sell it and buy something more applicable for your system.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour