Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road
Default New Koralia Evolution powerheads.

I have always wanted a set of powerheads that will make waves but everything is so damn expensive. If you want Tunze or Vortech, you'll be spending over $1000 for just two!!! The koralia 4 programmable pumps are cheap but the brain is like $400 and they won't work with any other wavemaking powerbar.

I was just surfing through the net trying to find some cheap alternatives and stumbled upon koralia's new powerheads called the "evolution" series. I'm sure a lot of you have heard of them but I just read about them today. Anyways, the largest size ones put out 1400 gph and are smaller than the koralia 4s. They will work with any wavemaking device- even those cheap wavemaker powerbars. they apparently don't click when they start up. Some guy has tried them out and he said they are working fine for him. The powerheads are only like $50!!! I don't know if they have come to Canada yet but i ordered 4 today from marinedepot.com for like $200. I just have to buy a cheap powerbar controller and I'm good to go.

I'll write a review when i get them
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

That would be awesome.....interested in your findings.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Tagging along here, let us know how they work out
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

Interesting
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

So have these arrived and do they meet your expectations?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 AM

Sorry, I do have them but have not connected them yet. I did my big tank switchover last weekend and will be doing the powerheads tomorrow. I'll write a review on them tomorrow. My bad.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 AM

flazky is on a distinguished road

heya, did you have to pay for customs from marinedepot? =O...like how much was the shipping?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 PM

To answer the last question, I did not have to pay anything for shipping because marinedepot will ship anything for free in the US if it is over 170 bucks or something. I bought four of the pumps and had them shipped to an address in Bellingham (distant relatives). haha. If you don't know anyone near the border, there are a lot of people on this website that do who will be more than willing to help you out.

I paid GST and PST on the pumps. It came to like 20 bucks but sometimes they will just let you through.

Ok the quick review:

I connected all 4 of the koralia evo (1400 gph) to the redsea wavemaster all alongside one side of my tank. I turned it on and I was dreading a clicking noise (pumps turning on and off) but it never came. In fact, I had to put my hand in the tank to see if they were even working. They are silent and are at least as strong as my koralia 4 (1200 gph). I will try to attach a pic to compare the size difference. So far, I am impressed but durability will be the key determining factor and unfortunately, that can only happen with time. I'll update again after a few weeks. Even pintos drive awesome straight out of the dealership. But so far, so good!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Trying to send a side by side comparison of the new koralia and my old koralia 4 but apparently I don't have enough space. How do i fix that?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 AM

scar_11 is on a distinguished road

any update