Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Steve_the_nucks_fan is on a distinguished road
Cool uv sterilizers

just wondering info on uv sterilizers? do you need to have one? just looking for some feed back. new to reefing. thx everyone

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM

imcosmokramer is on a distinguished road
Default Go

You don't need to have one, but they won't hurt either. If you do choose to get one, make sure it's rated for the size of your system. I'll get you a link with info in a sec.
________
California Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by imcosmokramer; 08-14-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM

imcosmokramer is on a distinguished road
Default Go

"Ultraviolet sterilization is a proven, dependable, and effective method for controlling and eradicating algae spores, bacteria, and protozoa (i.e. ich) present in the water column. UV sterilizers destroy disease-causing pathogens as water is pumped through the unit.

Ozone has been used for many years in drinking and waste water treatment plants throughout the world for sterilization and purification of water. Ozone is a very reactive form of oxygen that can destroy an enormous variety of liquid waste materials and toxins. In the aquarium, ozonizers offer a simple, highly effective method of maintaining a clean and stable environment.

As a rule of thumb, we recommend 1 mg/hr for every 2 gallons of aquarium water. Click here for more information on using ozone in your aquarium."
________
Terpsichore

Last edited by imcosmokramer; 08-14-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Steve_the_nucks_fan is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the info. I might get one in the near future but right now I think I'll go with out. But again thanks.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I have 2 on my 155, when i first put them in was not sure if they were doing anything. After about a month I noticed a big change in the algea reduction in my tank. Well worth every penny, I have a 30W going into my new 165 gal.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have never used a UV sterilizer but always wondered, don't they kill the good micro organisms along with the bad ones?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 AM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

yes Kein, anything alive that passes by the bulb in long enough contact time gets fried.

Your amphipods isopods copepods all die in contact with uv light, not only them but thier food source too, any live phytoplankton will be killed, this will stop your system from creating the food your micro organisms require.

I have used UV before as well as ozone, and they most certainly do what they are said to do, i choose now not to though in order to have a diversity of marine fauna in tank.
Im certain my corals are happier because of it, there are other ways to control the benifits you get with UV or Ozone. Proper husbandry and knowlage being the largest.

When i did use UV it eradicated my tank of Ich, for that i was very happy, however now my cleaner wrasse has something to eat, Same for micro algea from the tank glass, UV rids it but then my tang has nothing to nibble on.

Uv is bad for anything alive that passes by..
Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Like pretty much everything in this hobby, there is no absolute answer. There is no doubt they do work, I don't think they erradicate everything (good or bad), the only way to catch everything would be to run the return pump through it and most people's flow rate is too high to kill anything, let alone everything. There are charts with most UV units to tell you the recommended flow rates. I have a 36 watt on my 180 LPS/Softie and no UV on my 90 SPS tank and I can honestly say I have no issues with either tank. The fact of the matter is do you NEED a $5K light fixture, a $2K BK skimmer, or a UV? They would all be nice to have but you can do just fine without them, and good husbandry is better than any of these things.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:03 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
Like pretty much everything in this hobby, there is no absolute answer. There is no doubt they do work, I don't think they erradicate everything (good or bad), the only way to catch everything would be to run the return pump through it and most people's flow rate is too high to kill anything, let alone everything. There are charts with most UV units to tell you the recommended flow rates. I have a 36 watt on my 180 LPS/Softie and no UV on my 90 SPS tank and I can honestly say I have no issues with either tank. The fact of the matter is do you NEED a $5K light fixture, a $2K BK skimmer, or a UV? They would all be nice to have but you can do just fine without them, and good husbandry is better than any of these things.
So if your 90 sps tank is doing well without a sterilizer then why are you running one on the other tank? I'm just curious :-). Seems like an added expense that you don't need to run? Again I'm not criticizing I'm
just curious! :-)
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 AM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

For a fish only setup UV is good, but for a reef setup it does good things, you must only then decide what you prefer the actions of the UV or the results of having more of the benifitial organisims as well as the bad without.

Many people only see the noticable actions of the UV (less desiese or less micro algea) and forgo seeing the actions it has on the other live micro organisms in thier reef.

If you can say even at a 50% death rate of live plantonic life is worth the benifit of having the reduction of the other more harmfull lifeforms is something you can agree with then by all means give it a shot.

I however preffer to keep a large diversity of life in my reef, and wouldnt use UV or Ozone ever again.