Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-21-2010, 03:09 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road
Default building a sump...need some help

So a long story short, I've cracked my second sump and am finished with drilling holes in them, as well as running external pumps as a return. I am no good with the CAD programs some of you guys use so I can't really draw you a picture of what I'm going to explain, so use your imagination

I'm building a new sump right now that's 36" x 18" x 18" and in the end is going to be eurobraced. All the glass is here, and it's slowly going together. Before I put the bracing on though, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with planning the guts. I'd like to build a fuge into it, and still have room for my skimmer, bubble trap, and return section for a pump. Can it be done, and does anyone have good any good pictures of their sump so I can go by something. If you can help me out...I'd be your slave!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I just built a sump with very close dimensions which contained a mechanical filtration chamber, carbon tray, skimmer chamber, refugium and a return run to an external pump. I have cad drawings but they are at work, could possibly post them tomorrow with some pics of the finished product as well if you can wait.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Check out my build on my 165. Just finish a acrylic sump with 6 compartment. Intake, Refugium, skimmer 1, skimmer 2, dual PhosBan reactor & return. 46" x 22" x 16"

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

sphelps...I'm not planning to order the glass for the baffels until late next week, so no rush at all.

Grizz...Your sump is killer man, if I had an extra 4 feet of main tank I would be a third wheel taking your design. Building a new house this fall, so who know's...I might just get that big tank I want
Old 02-21-2010, 04:09 AM

You could adapt my design to fit your sump dimensions. Put your refugium first, skimmer section just big enough for the skimmer and make your return small as it really does not have to hold much water.

Split you sump 12" back - 6" front, but refugium 1st, then skimmer, bubble trap and then return.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I'm more of a big ugly stock trough person myself but Melev has a lot of sump designs and advice on his site here http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html just look down the left hand column for the different models.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-21-2010, 05:48 PM

OK here's the general layout done in CAD followed by the final product pictures. In the CAD drawing all features are not shown and I altered the final product slightly to accommodate for a higher flow rate. The basic dimensions are the same though. If you omit the water reservoir you'll end up with dimensions very close to what you're looking for (30x18x16). Also please note that this is purely for reference purposes only, not open to criticism and was designed for someone else. Your exact needs/wants will not necessarily match this exact model.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Wow nice job, how do you find your refugium works being after the skimmer? I have always read that the refugium should ALWAYS be before any skimmers.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Wow nice job, how do you find your refugium works being after the skimmer? I have always read that the refugium should ALWAYS be before any skimmers.
You could put it anywhere and it would make little difference, if you were to justify either or I would think after makes more sense. The two main reasons for running a refugium in my mind is nutrient export and pod culturing. Since the nutrients targeted by a skimmer and a refugium are in different stages of the nitrogen cycle this would not effect position, but a skimmer after the refugium could reduce the pod flow to the display. I also don't like the idea of refugium being a garbage dump so closest to the end is a little better in that respect.

Some also prefer to have the refugium separate and not inline, I just build whatever people prefer, if they have no preference I usually go inline at the end for the reasons above and simplicity.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-21-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

I have always put my fuge after the skimmers, especially to help out my pod population as well.