Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM

scar_11 is on a distinguished road
Default Bulk Head and Emergency line Questions?

I just drilled 2 holes in my tank one for the return one for the over flow Should I silicone the bulk heads in or not?

I was also wondering if I should put a 2nd overflow line as a emergency back up. Do alot of people do this?

3rd question is I am putting a internal overflow box in should I put a rubber seal between the overflow box and the tank or should I silicone it?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Id say no to the silcone on the bulkheads, you will one day want to replace or change something and will be stuck as they are siliconed in.

Yes a 2nd overflow pipe is good, it saves alot of work cleaning up, and replacing equiptment and livestock, let alone the carpeting.

The last question i think is a matter of opnion here you can go either way, i have always siliconed mine in, is yours glass or acrylic, if acryic you may want to try the rubber seal if that hold better, as silcone and acrylic do not bond very well.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

When I did my bulkheads I did a thin smear of silicone but probably not needed. Also silicone, if the nut is overtightened, can easily cause the gasket to be pushed out.

Two drains, YES!!!. Search for Herbie, about the quietest drain system out there, better than a Durso etc.

For overflow boxes, can't say I've ever seen rubber (always siliconed or if acrylic, bonded). It does need to be sealed though.