Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 PM

leezard is on a distinguished road
Default Lethargic Porcelain Crab - Molting?

It's been awhile since I've been here. Heh. Sorry.

Anyways, after a major tank crash after installing a new bulb, only to crash again after I broke my leg and both fish tanks were ignored for about a month, we have been finally building it up again. Huzzah!!

We started with a new CUC since most of the first ones died off, and since our water had been very stable for about a month we decided to treat ourselves to a porcelain crab as well. It was a bit of an impulse buy, yep, but he has been doing really well.

Or so we thought, anyways.

He could be found hiding out deep in the LR, but we could always see his fans out and searching for foodstuffs. Today he was out in the front of the rock, and not looking so great. His tail was uncurled slightly (which I didn't realize they HAD tails until that moment), his eyes are cloudy and he almost looks like he's puffed out. From what I can tell, it looks as if it may be a molt, but there's really not much I can find in regards to molting crabs. Can anyone offer some insight? I'd offer pics if I could, but there's no way I can get a decent picture of him where he is.

It may or may not be related, but just yesterday we noticed a glass anemone that has appeared. How or where it came from is a mystery, but something in the LR must have survived the mass inter-nano-marine-life plantery destruction.... could that have had anything to do with this phenomenon?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM

So he's upside down and very much not moving, with the exception of the current rocking him back and forth. I've left him there for the time being in hopes of their molts being similar to tarantulas, in which they really do flip upside down and pretty much mimic death.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

Doesn't look good! How is your water? When was you last water change?

I would also get water ready for another water change is your crab is infact dead. Don't want any more large spikes.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM

The water is great -- has been for a few months now. Last water change was last Monday -- we tend to keep it up weekly, but decided against it last night because of the crab. Figured we'd wait until tomorrow (since both my hubby and I are out today and can't do it).