Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road
Default Considering switching to MH

So for the past 5 months i have been debating about switching over to MH from T5's and seeing the difference my lighting would make in my tank. Right now my colors are good out of my sps but they seem to be gaining color with the new bulb config, but i am just not happy.

Now it is a Tek 6 bulb right now at 16" tall. And i will be looking into 2x250 MH and probably the lumenmax 3's so i can run a retro T5 supplimentals down the road.

My biggest worry is heat, now alot of t5 guys have said that the "heat factor" is similar but only by a few degree's. I went last summer with the tank on the mid level of the house and we had a few days where it got to 30+ degree's in the house (no AC) so what can i expect with MH. I am new to this lighting .

So my 2 choices are:

1 - switch to the MH

2 - stick with t5's are save up for a better fixture (constellation or sun power)

any words of advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
So for the past 5 months i have been debating about switching over to MH from T5's and seeing the difference my lighting would make in my tank. Right now my colors are good out of my sps but they seem to be gaining color with the new bulb config, but i am just not happy.

Now it is a Tek 6 bulb right now at 16" tall. And i will be looking into 2x250 MH and probably the lumenmax 3's so i can run a retro T5 supplimentals down the road.

My biggest worry is heat, now alot of t5 guys have said that the "heat factor" is similar but only by a few degree's. I went last summer with the tank on the mid level of the house and we had a few days where it got to 30+ degree's in the house (no AC) so what can i expect with MH. I am new to this lighting .

So my 2 choices are:

1 - switch to the MH

2 - stick with t5's are save up for a better fixture (constellation or sun power)

any words of advice would be greatly appreciated
I think in have a 3rd choice and that is LED. You will not have a heat problem and have to invest in cooling. It appears you are in no rush. Study the LED options.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

NO.... Stay with your t5's all the way, just get a 12 bulb fixture .
Levi
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 AM

the marine apprentice is on a distinguished road

the led is a sweet new deal but i like the t5 setups. even though i do run a mh on my tank, ill be switching back to t5s when i move into the new place and set up a new tank
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Mag 12 return pump also feeding two reactors
Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I think in have a 3rd choice and that is LED. You will not have a heat problem and have to invest in cooling. It appears you are in no rush. Study the LED options.
i have considered it, but still undereducated about them. only seem some nice LED lit tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
NO.... Stay with your t5's all the way, just get a 12 bulb fixture .
Levi
Well if i stick to T5's i am stuck with only a few options due to my euro bracing:

ATI Sun power 6 bulb 13.5" wide (my #1 choice right now due to price)
constellation 7 bulb 14" wide
power module 8 bulb 17.5" wide (this fixture is pushing it and a bit pricey for me)

But I really want to try the MH lighting. My tank has been running on T5's for the past year. I honestly want to see if i can get any improvements in color and growth
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post

I have a MH light over my tank. similar situation as you with the house heat issues. basically you can position a fan to blow across the surface water and lighting fixture. there will be increased evaporation but your tank temp. but should remain manageable
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 AM

Kevotron is on a distinguished road

Im im the midst of starting a 40G Breeder
and im debating whether to do T5 or LED as well
i checked the Maxspect g2-160W LED system and it looks great and price is great too..
only skeptical part is that is Made in China...
heres the link...
http://www.fish-street.com/maxspect_...ategory_id=118
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

There are lots of great T5 tanks out there. Doug and Johns tank just to name a couple. They seem to be doing very well with T5s so I dunno. I'm actually going to try T5s over my shallow 104.72g tank because I'm a little curious too. I have never run T5s exclusivly before. My main 150 tank is a combo fixture 3x250 halides with T5s supplementing. I don't have any complaints about it. It is fairly high over my tank so no huge heat issues. I do love the halide shimmer though and would totally miss that. That alone is probably the only thing keeping halides over my tank :-)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Its up in the air. I am getting a qoute on a set up today so it all matters on how much it will cost. So far Changing the skimmer showed huge improvement in my tank, and i really want to stay out of KZ products.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I started with T5's and although I still like the color choices you get, and cooler temps. I don't think I could give up my MH's now. They add a shimmer, make the tank seem more alive it seems. WHat I want to do is Add T5's, or some blue LED's to the MH's.

Umm, a tank or 5