Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta

Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM

Juicy is on a distinguished road
Default Need a reef expert....

Not to sure if I am doing this right or not, I am kind of computer illiterate when it comes to this stuff. I have been debating whether or not to join because this isn't my kind of thing but I figure there might be someone out here that knows alot more than the LFS would. I have been into salt for like 2 years or so but I would still consider myself new to the hobbie since I still can't figure this out. I have been reading and trying new things but just can't kick the mass of green that has overrun my tank. I have gone to a few LFS for help and have been put on the back burner for months and I am at my wits end trying to look for help.

So that is where someone like you comes in. This may sound a bit out there but if there is any one in my local area that knows what they are doing and can help a guy out would be much appreciated. I don't want someone to try and sell me stuff, just someone to show me what I am doing wrong and what I can do to make it better. I have dropped alot of money into this thing and am looking for a better outcome. A basic reef course would be great.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place and I apoligise first hand for my spelling.
Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

First Welcome to CanReef. I'm sure you will find a lot of help here that will put your apprehention aside.
I know you are looking for someone local to help you but a lot can be done via CanReef

First off how about answering a few questions, but don't worrie if you don't know the answers
How big is your tank?
What kind of lights do you have?
What fish do you have?
What coral do you have?
What other hardware do you have (filters, Skimmers)
Do you know what your current
Nitrates are?
Nitrites are?
Ammonia is ?
Calcium is?
ALK?
Mag?

J
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Abe is on a distinguished road

hey Juicy, welcome to canreef. At first its good to answer the questions Jay asked. This way we can have an idea of whats happening in your tank. I live in the edmonton area as well so I will try to help as much as I can.

Abe.
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Well I have a 280 gallon main tank with like a 100 and some gallon sump. My lights are 2 400 w sunlight supply units with two large sunlight supply reflectors. I am not to sure what the current bulbs are. My fish consist of a purple tang, a hippo tang, a naso tang, a fox face, a coral beauty, two skunk clowns and two nemo clowns (i cant spell the proper name), 4 blue gree chromios and a the wrasse that looks like a clown fish. I don't have many corals at all just a few mushrooms and some small green things like zooanthids. I am running some kind of skimmer not to sure the model and I also have a calcium reqactor (not sure of the brand) and a phospahte reactor that currently is using Pura Phoslock.

As for my levels of everything else, I am not to sure. The last time I tested it it all lokked good but needless to say my stuff is about a year old or so, so I am not to sure if it even works properly anymore. Sorry I can't be of more help. Oh and I guess I should mention that my water is running through a 4 stage R/O DI unit and then into another 20" DI canister.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Well I have no problem opening my house up to anyone willing to lend me a hand and I have no problem footing the gas bill and then some. I would be doing the same if I were to get the LFS to come and do it.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Ask your questions....
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

It certaining sounds like you know what your doing.
But it's possible there are 2 problems causing your algea bloom
It could be old MH Bulbs or excess nutrients.
How often do you perform water changes?
How old are your Bulbs?

thanks
J
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM

well to be honest with you I am kind of lost for words. LHad help previous from my LFS and I kept buying this and that and they couldn't find nothing wrong with the way things were going. Then we found out that maybe the local farmers must have had a fertalizer frenzy and dumped a whole bunch in the feilds because my water had a phos at about 1ppm so they recomended buying a 20" DI canister to help with that. I really just need a lesson from someone who is on the same level playing feild as me. you know not just trying to make a buck.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Well I try to do water changes every 2 weeks about 70 some gallons. sometimes it gets as bad as 3 weeks before I get to it. I rarley feed my fish (only once a day) and I don't feed alot. My lights are rounding there 9 months or so, so they could be changed but I have been having this problem now for sometime now so I am not to sure if lights were an issue. I am just not sure if I am balanching thins out right or what my problem is. I just recently had like a two week tank clean to try to rid my tank of this but it just likes me because it keeps coming back.

I mean I have learned a bit alnog the way but by no means am I an expert. There are always things I keep picking up along the way.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

those are pretty strong lights for almost no corals, id raise the up quite high to cut down on light the algae is gettin at least untill it gets under control, dial down the calcium reactor, excess co2 is basicly fertalizer and im betting thats the main culprit, on my ro/di unit i run 2 di cartridges so if u have a big 20" one u should be ok but maybe test the water coming out of the ro for phisphates, if u still have phosphates of anykind after the ro unit thats a problem, look into a better unit maybe or more cartridges, also get a reactor of some kind and run phosphate remover,
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ric-oxide.html
also what do u feed? maybe ur over feeding a bit or frozen foods have high phosphate in the water there frozen in usually and should be rinsed out before adding to the tank