Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Porcupine Puffer ate my glass Floating Thermometer!!!

I have a 9" Porcupine puffer (named Stewie..a.k.a Griffie) that decided to swallow my floating thermometer!!! (picture of one in the link below)! I'm not sure why he decided to touch it after it has been there all along. I'm beating myself up that I even had it in there. Glad I heard the water splashing around, as I was trying to help Stewie spit it out, however the glass broke and tiny silver balls fell all over the sand bed! I was in a panic to google what the tiny grey beads are, if they were Mercury or not. I removed all the fish (almost all), in case it contaminated the tank. Tried to remove as much tiny beads as possible, although impossible. Even though I removed a good chunk of sand bed.

I suspect the puffer swallowed some glass (pieces not found) and some tiny beads. He hasn't eaten for the last two days. Is my porcupine puffer poisoned himself?? If only I could pump his stomach, like humans can have done. Or have a drug to pass it out quickly, like a laxative.

The tiny beads... I'm reading are most likely are lead. Do you think Lead could poison a fish? How about.. what the ill effects would be to the tank if not all the lead balls could be removed???? Looking for any feedback.

Thanks a bunch

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...D=ht-httfloats

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-09-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I believe the metal balls are lead or another heavy metal, added simply for weight to keep the base down. They are certainly not mercury. As long as you got the majority out they shouldn't cause any problems in the tank.

As for the puffer the swallowed glass will certainly have an effect, the metal not so much. If the puffer continues not to eat it's likely dieing and you should consider doing the humane thing at that point.

Sorry for your luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

The new thermometers are not mercury, I believe a alcohol of some sort. I have no idea of the side effects, the small metallic balls in the base, once again I do not know exactly what they are, but i have had a few break in my tank when my regal got angry with them. No ill effects in my tank, of course he didn't eat it though. Sorry i cannot be of more help.
Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I believe the metal balls are lead or another heavy metal, added simply for weight to keep the base down. They are certainly not mercury. As long as you got the majority out they shouldn't cause any problems in the tank. As for the puffer the swallowed glass will certainly have an effect, the metal not so much. If the puffer continues not to eat it's likely dieing and you should consider doing the humane thing at that point. Sorry for your luck.
I'm not entirely sure if the puffer ended up ingesting the broken glass; however I tried to piece most of it together to see and a small chuck is missing. I even re-aqua scaped this entire 230gal tank to look for the pieces, with no luck. I'm sure he must of swallowed some beads of lead (or whatever it is) though. I can't see how he couldn't. I will wait to see if the puffer continues to not eat. Although, he's still is swimming around like nothing happened. He is a big boy and a tough fish, wish me luck, cause I'll need it.

Thanks for the reply.

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
The new thermometers are not mercury, I believe a alcohol of some sort. I have no idea of the side effects, the small metallic balls in the base, once again I do not know exactly what they are, but i have had a few break in my tank when my regal got angry with them. No ill effects in my tank, of course he didn't eat it though. Sorry i cannot be of more help.
Bob
Your post is helpful. I wondered if anyone ever had one break in their tank and if it affected anything. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

My regal smashed them constantly, I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump. I don't know why, but he hated them, as far as I know, i have had no ill effects, just gathered up what i could each time.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
My regal smashed them constantly, I ended up leaving the thermometer in the sump. I don't know why, but he hated them, as far as I know, i have had no ill effects, just gathered up what i could each time.
K.. that makes me feel a bit better. I will add the fish back to the setup. I was worried it would poison the whole setup, cause I can't get all the tiny silver beads. Although.....hopefully my blue boxfish, by blowing the sand to discover her food, doesn't find a silver bead and mistake it for food pellets. *faint*

Last edited by bulletsworld; 12-09-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Yikes! I had no idea that fish would break let alone eat a thermometer! I hope everything works out for you.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Told you he ate anything he could fit into his mouth
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I forgot to mention give him forzen peas, it always worked when he ate snails and stuff he should not eat... good old Griffie, I see he has settled right in. He loves frozen peas too.