Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
bvlester

Default Produce question

I don't know if this is in the right area move please if it needs to be moved. Anyways do you use PurpleUp and how do you find it working for you?
I am thinking of useing it and wondering if it works or for that matter even does anything.

Thank you,
Bill
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I believe it's mostly just a calcium supplement with a few other additives like iodine which may or may not do anything. You should get equivalent results from using a simple two part dosing method which will maintain alk as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What he ^ said. Imo, Purple Up is really just a glorified calcium supplement.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-03-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

did NOT do anything in my case
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 AM

tgoeujon is on a distinguished road

i tried it faithfully for a year with no noticeable result, then i switched to a two part and it seems to have more noticeable results
Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Wright is on a distinguished road
Default Dosing

Hi could someone explain the two part dosing method , do i just add equal parts of calcuim and iodine to my tank.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

A 2 part solution is basically a way to manage your calcium and dKH levels. i don't think many of them include Iodine. but in a lot of cases as long as your doing water changes with a good salt you should't have to worry about iodine. some of the veteran reefers may have found different but when i tried adding iodine to my tank i didn't really notice any change really
Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright View Post
Hi could someone explain the two part dosing method , do i just add equal parts of calcuim and iodine to my tank.

Thanks
This is a good link on how to make your own two part and how to dose it.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 AM
bvlester

Thanks guys I am using this produce started the end of last week and it has made a difference in that when I was using Kent liquid calcium I didn't see any extra coralline growth but after using purple up for a while I have found that there is coralline growing in quit a few new spots. But, the big difference is in the old growth wow is it looking nice and bright and on the rear glass there is alot of purple spots showing. This could be in part because I added another power head. Kent cal did nothing for my tank but cost me money this was cheaper per OZ and it is a larger bottle. Just my opinion and it seems to be doing some thing in the way of new growth.

I just wanted people’s opinion on the produce nothing else, not a lecture of how I am wasting my money or some thing like that. I have seen it no here before, and I have had it happen before. Remember no one knows how much some one has payed for a product, when giving a opion about a product money is not the factor unless it is asked about. The product and how it worked for you is what matters.

If you are interested in what I did I used the recomded dose every 2 days. I know everyones tank is a little bit different and one product may not work for the next person.
The bottle says it has ionic liquid calcuem, crushed cal 10micron, strontium, magnesium, carbonate and iodine.
Bill
Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
I just wanted people’s opinion on the produce nothing else, not a lecture of how I am wasting my money or some thing like that. I have seen it no here before, and I have had it happen before. Remember no one knows how much some one has payed for a product, when giving a opion about a product money is not the factor unless it is asked about. The product and how it worked for you is what matters.

Bill
Bill, I don't see anywhere in this thread where someone gave you a "lecture" at all. Pretty simple, straight forward answers. No one mentioned it being a waste of money. However, when giving reviews it is perfectly acceptable for someone's opinion to be that a product is a waste of money...you are asking for their opinion after all. There are lots of reasons why Purple Up may have worked for you, and it may even be the product itself (or coincidence, etc). Cheers!

Btw, it is often the case that low alkalinity is a limiting factor in coralline growth. Purple Up would provide that for you to a certain extent. Are you testing calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?

SPS fanatic.