Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road
Default A noobs first attempt at a tank...by rjengen

So, I've been stalking all of you for the last two months, gathering intel and insight on what I hope will turn out to be a great first attempt. I have several fresh tanks in the house, and have always wanted to get into salt water, but honestly just felt overwhelmed with everything. Well, as I said, two months ago I signed up on here and decided it was time to figure it all out, and make a go at it.

I had serious thoughts of drilling one of my existing tanks, but then when I started thinking hard on it, I decided I'd let someone who actually knew what they were doing do it for me. If it turned out bad, I could get mad at them, and not be poopy at myself for a crumy job. Now, I live in Grande Prairie, and if any of you know the place, you know we're SOL up here for anything that resembles LFS that deals with salt, so I emailed a few people with my idea's for a tank. I ended up having Red Coral in Calgary build the tank, and here's what we decided.

48x18x20 Tank = 74g ish
Eurobraced
External overflow set up for a herbie
Bottom of the tank drilled for a closed loop
Glass edges polished and beveled
Tinted black back
and my fav...Starphire front

Well the tank was finished friday, and I ended up getting up at 5 in the morning saturday and did the 1500km door to door round trip to pick the tank up. I was going to overnight in Edmonton at the inlaws, but outside of Panoka on my trip home a jeep tried to pass me on the #2, blew his front pass tire, swerved into the guy behind me and both cars ended up in the ditch, the jeep rolling once. Everyone was okay, but after dealing with the police and giving a statement, I was just too jacked up to even think about sleep...so I just drove home.

I did happen to stop in Airdrie on my way down and meet Powertec, and bought a slightly used, new to me Vertex IN 180 off of him though. Haven't been through that place in 7 years, and I'm glad he came to meet me, I would have been lost forsure!

So anyways, I finished my stand this morning, and finally got the tank sitting on it. I snagged the stand design off of here, and with the tank on it it is very stable. I plan on sheating it with 3/4" oak, and staining it a dark cherry, but that will be down the road a little bit. For a sump, I went with a spare 33g tank I had sitting around. I cut a deal with the glass shop we deal with at work for our windshields, and told em they could put a new windshield in my truck if they cut me some glass...so I got 4 baffels @ 3mm for free, and I can see out of the windshield again.

I started looking around town 3 weeks ago for a 2 3/8" diamond hold saw, and the only on I found was at Rona. They were asking $140 for it, so once the guy found it for me, and told me the price, I walked out...and may have mentioned "Good luck selling that you effing retards" and I must say...Bless ebay, and all the goodies you can find on there.

And that's where I'm at guys...I did pick up 2 Peseidon PS4 pumps from Red Coral when I was down, and have one of them already rigged into the sump circulating water. It's a humble beginning for me right now, and since Christmas is right around the corner, I can't get too crazy with my spending, my wife would have me and my tank out on the front step in no time...but once the season has pasted, I intend to get a little crazy. Things on the top of the list

Some T5 retro kits
Neptune Controller
Oceans Motions 2 way squirt (If someone has one they want to sell...hit me up please)

Last edited by rjengen; 11-19-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

wow, someone has definitely done their homework! Very nice! Looking forward to the progress!

P.S. If you plan on finishing the basement I recommend doing it now BEFORE the tank is filled and stocked! That is, unless you're the type that enjoys moving a fully stocked saltwater tank! :-D
Old 11-16-2009, 09:33 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Tank looks great, nice to see you decided on the external overflow
Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Carmen is on a distinguished road

Excellent start! Glad you made it home okay! PHEW! What a trip! Nice meeting you in red Coral! Will be a fabulous tank! I will be watching your build!

45 Gallon Cube with 10 Gallon Sump, Lighting 8 bulb T5, Vertex IN 80 Skimmer
-2 Occelaris Clowns, Engineer Goby, RBTA, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

very nice for a "noob"
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 AM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
wow, someone has definitely done their homework! Very nice! Looking forward to the progress!

P.S. If you plan on finishing the basement I recommend doing it now BEFORE the tank is filled and stocked! That is, unless you're the type that enjoys moving a fully stocked saltwater tank! :-D
I hate moving period...I don't plan on finishing this basement cause we're looking at building a new house next fall. I hope to slowly tackle this project so 1 of 2 things happens...everything is tweaked and looking sharp for our new house, or the more likely scenario I cut my teeth with this tank, and end up going bigger and building something into our new house. Either way, my son is already asking when we will put water in the tank
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yes, you have done your homework for sure!! Great looking tank.

Excellent pump choice - I have a PS3 on my 90, and it is silent. It does add about 2 degrees to the water temperature though. Grr... you will be better off than me though since you are using T5s.

What do you have planned for corals and fish?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow that's quite a story. Good thing to hear everyone was OK.

And as far as the TANK goes, I must say this is an incredible beginning to a "noob" setup. This is gonna be a great tank for you!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 AM

leducreef is on a distinguished road

looks great now get that stand painted lol
4 year exp salty
Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 AM

leducreef is on a distinguished road