Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 11-13-2009, 01:30 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default These guys are probably going to have to be triple-bagged to get them home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOJodgp_cY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegE9GMDOrQ
Old 11-13-2009, 01:45 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Gorgeous! I saw one snorkeling, and it scared the crap outta me - they are sooooooooooooooooooo big!!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Wow. Just think how much Mysis you'd go through!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

I guess they buy Instant Ocean by the 2 tonne pallet (and just use drinking water for their source) .. for a 6.3 million gallon tank. I'm guessing you can get cut a deal on the price if you buy in bulk. So hopefully it works that way with the mysis. On the plus side, if that doesn't take care of the mysis problem in the Okanagan, NOTHING will!

I have wanted to see a whale shark my entire adult life. My WHOLE life. You have no idea how profound a moment it was for me this afternoon. I drained my camera battery and filled up a card with stills and video with the clumsy little camera I was able to bring with me to site this week. I can't even upload anything else because the camera battery is done until I get home tomorrow.

Myka where did you see them snorkelling? I have to do a trip like that one day. Sea of Cortez perhaps? That's a place on my bucket list.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Tony, you don't have to go that far away. Basking sharks come up the Alberni inlet fairly often, apparently. (Or at least they used to.) My Brother-in-law and I used to fish the big derby there every Labour Day weekend. We were so close to one I touched it with a paddle. Freakin' big sucker too. Longer than our 18' Double Eagle.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM

I meant whale sharks are something I've wanted to see my whole life. That will be one miserable whale shark who makes a wrong turn and ends up in Alberni Inlet.

Not that basking sharks aren't cool. I was really interested to hear that sixgills for a while were hanging out by Hornby and then just as mysteriously as they came they left and aren't there anymore ?? Weird but neat stuff.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 AM

KennyKen is on a distinguished road

I Take it you were just at the aquarium?
That tank sure is spectacular.
I sat through the volunteers "spew" atleast 4 times just watching those sharks
Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 AM

manaf is on a distinguished road

that guys tank is kinda overstocked imo

lol
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

JEALOUS!! Man.. I should break something so that I can haul the family there :-D

See you next week and have a great flight back!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony if you ever want to be guaranteed to see whale sharks on a trip, go to Belize in spring time (wasn't as expensive as it sounds). My fiancee and I were there about 4 years ago for a dive trip. We actually had no idea the Whale Sharks were there until one of the dive shops just kind of assumed we were there to see them. It was pretty exciting and after the first few minutes, quite relaxing...they are kind of intimidating at first but you realize pretty fast how docile they are.

Plus Belize is amazing for gorgonians which I know you love. Some were many feet tall! Sea fans everywhere.

The best reefs were in Hol Chan canyon just near San Pedro island and they were about the best reefs I have seen other than Australia.

Unfortunately my external HD crashed the other day and I lost all my pictures other than a few I had in photobucket. Need to see if I can get anything back off that harddrive

Visibility was not great that day and actually it was open water to see the whale sharks, so quite dark. I think this was about the best picture I got anyways. Most of them turned out blurry.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 11-13-2009 at 07:38 AM.