Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Are the Vortech MP40W worht the $$$$
Yes 41 68.33%
No 19 31.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 04:44 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road
Default Are the Vortech MP40 Worth the $$$

I am looking at getting a MP40W for my 5ftX27inchX27inch DT tank, currently using 4x Koralia #2's with to positioned returns... Want to add a wave feature. My questions to all that own them are:

1.) Have you seen any coral improvements once running these units?
2.) Are the improvements that much to warrant spending $500?

Thanks to all that participate.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 10-23-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Don't know about improvements as I set up the tank with the MP40. But it is the only powerhead in my 4 foot 75 gallon and it provides tons of flow. I only have it turned up about 2/3 full. I really like how the random modes continuously change the flow. Seems much more natural to me.

However, in a 5 x 3 x 3 tank you might need at least two of them running in opposite mode to set up a wave action. Your best bet is to contact Ecotech and ask them about your application and/or check out their forum at reef central.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:56 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

I think you would need at least 2 of them to get a wave going on your tank. The dims you give make your tank 335+ g but your sig says 180g. Either way I had 2 of them on my 6' 125g and could get a wave going. Don't see it happening with only one. I currently have 2 MP40W's and 2 6105's on my 280g and am considering more flow. If you have 4x K2's on your tank now I think a vortech would definitely benefit your corals. 500 bucks is a lot of money, I'm glad I picked up mine when they were only $400.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I really like my vortechs but I'm still not sure they are worth the money

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
I think you would need at least 2 of them to get a wave going on your tank. The dims you give make your tank 335+ g but your sig says 180g. Either way I had 2 of them on my 6' 125g and could get a wave going. Don't see it happening with only one. I currently have 2 MP40W's and 2 6105's on my 280g and am considering more flow. If you have 4x K2's on your tank now I think a vortech would definitely benefit your corals. 500 bucks is a lot of money, I'm glad I picked up mine when they were only $400.
My display is 180G, basically 5ft X 27inch X 27inch ... Sorry for the false info I was just lazy and rounded up to feet, I will adjust above info... Wow!!!! All I can say is you guys are on the ball!

do you think 1 unit, at the end, would be worth it? or should I just not bother?

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk

Last edited by globaldesigns; 10-23-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

I have one on my 150g that is 5 foot....and I really like it. I have a wavebox on the other end so I haven't got the vortech turned right up but the random wave crest one mode is cool.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Probably some of the best $$$ I've spent for my system. I have two in my 77 gal 4 ft tank and I reckon you'll more than likely want/need two for your 5 footer. I did start with a single pump as well though, sticker shock was definitely a factor when I took the plunge. Purchased the first one new over a year and a half ago and got the second about six months ago from a reefer on another forum site who was unloading a bunch of new MP40Ws due to a change of plans. So I ended up getting both for less than $500 since the first one I purchased was still a Gen 1 (just before they came out with the Gen 2) and they were a little cheaper than they are now. The second was a deal since the hobbyist obviously couldn't sell them on a forum for full retail price.

1.) I currently only have softies and an LPS Hammer coral, no SPS. They're all doing famously and I can't really say whether the VorTechs have made that much of a difference, since it's difficult to see changes like that over an extended period of time and there may be other factors at work. What I can say is that even after installing the first MP40W, so much crap and crud started coming out of the LR and off the substrate with the flow and undertow created by this single pump, I could hardly believe where it was all coming from. Before the VorTech all I had were a bunch of standard AquaClear powerheads with very narrow flow patterns.

2.) Yes, and another $500 if you can afford it for a second one (or look for deals on used ones in buy/sell forums). With two of them I'm able to dial them down to 75-80% which helps the noise factor (an occasional complaint about this from some folks, although I don't find it too bad). It also eliminates the dead area at the far end of the tank. I kept a conventional powerhead going to help this until I got the 2nd VorTech. With a single VorTech in your 5 foot tank, you'll need to keep one of your Koralias in service as well, although, I don't have a return so you may be able to adjust that and make it work without a Koralia. Another benefit of having two is the almost unlimited flexibilty for flow patterns you have using the wireless feature.

Other benefits I can think of:

Small footprint in tank;
No wiring in tank;
Battery backup available if you have even more cash (or build your own);
Customer service second to none;
Modular nature of the pump allows relatively easy replacement of parts, power supply, driver, dry side motor, wet side. So even though the up front cost is very high, if one of the components goes bad outside of warranty, the fix can be quite reasonable in cost;
Highly customizable flow adjustment right out of the box with multiple modes of operation available at your fingertips;
Easily repositioned if need be.

Cons that come to mind:

Not as silent as most powerheads you may be accustomed to. Dry side motor sound is most apparent in short pulse mode ramping from low rpm to 100%. Short pulse is commonly used for making waves. Personally I don't use this mode and with two of them dialed down it's not an issue. Ensuring the two sides are properly aligned will keep the sound reasonable;
Dry side is dry side, don't get any water on it or the driver. You also need to secure the power cord on the dry side in the event the wet side falls off, you don't want the dry side dropping to the floor or banging into your tank. The dry side and cord on the outside of the tank, while being a safety pro, can be a con as far as visual appearance on the outside. You also need 3 inches of clearance from any wall or other obstruction;
The dry and wet side need to be properly aligned to prevent overheating, excess noise and premature wear. This is not necessarily a true con, but something one needs to monitor and be aware of. If you have curious children that like to poke at stuff or are careless when cleaning around the pump, you could easily dislodge it and cause misalignment;
If someone is looking after your system while you're away, make sure they're very familiar with the operation of this thing. It does take a little more effort to set up properly than the average powerhead.

Whew, I think that about covers it. Probably missed a thing or two, but believe I covered the significant pros, cons etc... EcoTech should give me a discount on the 3rd pump I need in the future for this little bit of work...

Last edited by mike31154; 10-23-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I love mine Thinking of getting another one for my other tank. I love my waves.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Definitely worth it. I have the MP-20 on my 20g, and I've bought the MP-40w upgrade from Aquatic Addictions for when I upgrade tanks.

The versatility of the small pump is second to none, and the amount of control you have over it is amazing - I run mine at 100% reef crest for an SPS dominated tank.

The second con (after initial cost) is that the flow can't be directed like conventional powerheads - I'd love it if somehow I could mount it in the corner to flow diagonally, but meh - the flow itself is so broad, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make anyways.

If you're looking to pick up two and a battery back-up, Marine Depot (and I'm sure other online places) has a package of 2 MP-40w and a batery back up for just over $1000USD - after conversion it works out to just under $400 CAD for each MP-40w (not including taexs and shipping though) - Maybe a local retailer or sponsor can match that for you
Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM

wayner is on a distinguished road

What size Vortech for a 70 gallon cube?, it's 30L by 30W X 18H., thanks, and sorry for the hijack!