Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-17-2003, 10:25 PM

ryan_p is on a distinguished road
Default Quarintine Tank Question

I'm trying to price out what the cost of a 10G QT tank is going to be. What is the most inexpensive route to go and still maintain proper function?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:31 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about it, but I wonder if you'll be quarantining tangs, angels, etc? They won't much like living in a 10 gallon box for a whole month, and it might almost do more harm than good.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 08-17-2003, 10:35 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Hey Ryan ... What I considered is what size fish are planned for QT and that will help first of all in size of tank ... next will be filtration ... a hang on back filter would probably be fine with frequent water changes ( keep medium for filter in main tank/sump till you need it unless you want this tank up and running all the time ... same for substrate ) ... if you are dosing copper then nothing can be used that could contaminate your main tank ... after that a heater that fits the tank size and NO lighting if just for fish. HTH

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 08-17-2003, 11:54 PM

ryan_p is on a distinguished road

I won't be getting tangs or anything too large because my display tank isn't big enough for them... I will probably get fish no larger than 2-3" so I figured 10G would be big enough. I was thinking about only setting it up when needed and using water from the display tank at water change time. Do I need a substrate for the 3 weeks they'll be in there? I was going to add a few large diameter pieces of pvc for hiding too. I won't have a sump until I can afford it (maybe a few months) so how can I store media in the main tank without it looking obvious? So right now my list comprises a tank, heater, HOB filter (hagen aquaclear?) what about oxygen exchange.... maybe a air pump and stone? what else do I need? can I get by without a PH?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

if you get a small PH like an Aquaclear 201 you should need a air pump. the surface tension should be enough.
I've never used substrate in a Q-Tank because if you does copper it will remain in the sand. Your Idea of PVC is good.

I have (not to say it's right)
10G Tank
18W NO lighting
small heater
3-4 large PVC pieces 2-3 inches.
2 Large rocks (not LR)
201 PH
AquaClear filter w/ Carbon and sponge
(Carbon is removed if copper or an meds are used)

J