Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Default New topic / forum????

Just thought it may be a good idea of having a topic on emergency medicating. home remidies?

well i just got home from work to find that one of the fish i just brought home brought ich with him. i dont have the space for a qt tank in my new place and am very ill prepared. since obviously there are no LFS' open at 1 am i am out of options other than try and mix up some SW and heat it as fast as i can and try to do a fast water change (not likey as its 2 am and i still have 2 hours to wait for a decent amount of RODI). and i have already started to run carbon. 2 dead fish upon my arrival and i since. still my 6 line appears to be blind at this point. my clowns seem resiliant, but other than them i think all are doomed.

I AM LESS THAN HAPPY THAT I HAVE NO QT AT THIS POINT (in fact i am right ****ed at the moment). SOME FISH LOST ARE POTTERS ANGEL (maybe, not looking great right now) 6 LINE (not dead yet but i dont think its going to make it thru the night) 2 DAMSELS DOA AND A REDLIP BLENNY I GOT TO WATCH DIE.

MOSTLY MAD AT THE FACT THERE IS NOTING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS.

People get a QT tank if you dont have 1.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 09-29-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:20 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

should add all params in check and everything looked fine at 3 this afternoon
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Oh no that is terrible, hope things get better for you.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your losses but it doesn't sound like ick to me, it doesn't wipe out a tank in less than 12 hours, unless by work you mean out of town for a week at which case a QT won't save you. Sorry but I just don't agree with the QT approach, it's not needed for most reefers needs and usually does more harm than good so I for one won't be buying one

I see use of QTs for treating corals to avoid hitchhikers like nudibranchs and flatworms. Also for very large tanks a large QT could be useful for acclimatising fish to aquarium habits, but I don't agree that removing a sick fish and putting it in a smaller tank will do any good, rather it will cause more stress reducing it's chance for survival. I've always found a UV sterilizer to be the best treatment for ick.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:50 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Aw crap Mikey!!!...... Im sorry......you know how i feel about QTs......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 AM

G1GY is on a distinguished road

A QT may be a good idea (I've never used one though.), but I'm not sure that ich is wipiong out your fish. Even if a new and stressed fish has it. Most healthy fish will just fight ich off with no problem at all. Al I ever done for ich was raise my tank temp by a few degrees for a week or so.
Sorry to hear about whats happening with your tank though.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET A BONG!?!

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I would agree that pointing the finger at ich is premature at this point. I have never used a QT and I do get ich every few months (usually a sign that I'm behind on my water changes or I've added a new fish. My cleaner shrimp help
with the ich until the fish can fight off the ich themselves. I can't say that I have ever lost a fish to ich and I have 4 ich magnets in my tank, blue tang, purple tang, yellow tang and powder blue tang. All 4 of them enjoy sharing the ich wealth with their tank mates from time to time.

I would investigate other potential causes.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:11 AM

PuffLuv is on a distinguished road

With such ferocity, and looking like ich, it sounds something more like Brooklynella to me. As far as quarantine use goes in my opinion, its most effective at preventing unwanted organisms from entering the display tank in the first place (meaning holding/treating new additions before putting them in the DT). Anyways, wish you and your fish all the best!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I also agree, I don't believe it is ICH... If your tank is in proper order, all params are in check and things are happy, then fish can actually live with ICH and also resist it.

I have never had a QT tank and I have many fish that are susceptable to ICH (Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Sohal Tang, Potters Angel, Flame Angel for example) and at times I see some ICH spots, but overall it never becomes a problem and the fish just continue to thrive.

I would check your tank parameters, there must be another issue that is causing this loss so quickly.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I also agree, I don't believe it is ICH... If your tank is in proper order, all params are in check and things are happy, then fish can actually live with ICH and also resist it.

I have never had a QT tank and I have many fish that are susceptable to ICH (Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Sohal Tang, Potters Angel, Flame Angel for example) and at times I see some ICH spots, but overall it never becomes a problem and the fish just continue to thrive.

I would check your tank parameters, there must be another issue that is causing this loss so quickly.
I don't believe ich is that deadly, I think fish that die (from ich) are actually dieing from something else and just happen to have ich at the same time

Marine velvet (the main reason I quarantine everything) can kill a fish in 24hrs...

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 09-30-2009 at 06:04 AM.