Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Why doesnt anyone do this?

Im just wondering, and maybe I just havent read anything about it yet, but it seems like no one uses a desalinator to recover the salt after doing water changes? Is this plausible or would the salt you do recover need to be heavily dosed?

I just feel like salt is pretty expensive so it'd be cool to utilize it to its maximum.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Does a desalinator take out all the minerals as well? Then the nitrates will come out as well as all the other "bad" things, phosphate etc
Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The salt wouldn't be "complete" the way a reef salt mix is. For one the livestock have depleted certain elements, and the desalinator would only separate salts, not any of the elements. The salt you got out of a desalinator would eb useless for a reef.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

^ What they said, but also because salt isn't that expensive. For 100 gallon system changing 10% weekly can cost less than $16 per month depending on the salt you use. Now if it cost $100 a month there might be some potential for it, but otherwise not worth it.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I think desalinating is a great idea! extract the salt, throw it into a jar and put it on your kitchen spice rack. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle right ??
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I think desalinating is a great idea! extract the salt, throw it into a jar and put it on your kitchen spice rack. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle right ??
I think it could definitely come in handy if all you had to do was throw your water change water into a big barrel and eventually it made a pile of salt!

Only problem is, would that salt ever have fish waste at all on it? lol. Not sure if I'd want to eat it, even though it'd problem be pretty damn close to 100% salt, I mean heck I know most if not all of us have started a syphon and got some aquarium water in our mouth before lol.

Anyways, Maybe my next tank I'll dabble with desalinators and see if its realistic. This wont be for years though, so hopefully someone will beat me to the punch.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I thought the idea behind desalination was to produce water and remove other stuff (mostly salt). They are built to separate the water from everything else. I think what you end up with would be salty toxic waste.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Aside from the problems everyone else has pointed out with this idea consider how much energy you will have to use to evaporate the water in a timely manner. Putting it in pans and leaving it on the deck might work in August but much of the year you'll be using fans or heat to speed up the process.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

just let the water evaporate in its own time, use it to keep the driveway free of ice come winter.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Dry it out add a little blue food coloring and put it out to pasture. Cows and Deer don't care if there is fish poop on it.LOL
Kevin