Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Jordan_Oreo is on a distinguished road
Default What fish ?? help !

hey, I have a weird size tank that I got. It is aproximatly 70gallons the dimensions are 48inch long x 14inch tall x 24inch wide. I was thinking of putting these fish in it,

-juvenile emperor angelfish
-juvenile clown trigger
-Racoon butterfly
-one spot foxface
-diana's hogfish
-lyretail wrasse
-4-5 chromis

I know I canot put all thoes fish in this tank, but what ones could I put in this tank ? if I put the emperor angelfish in it will be moved to a larger tank when it gets bigger.

I would also like to have a nice clean up crew like some different snails and crabs etc.

Any opions on what to put in this tank will be great
Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Clown triggers have a bad reputation for becoming mean & killing other tankmates as they mature. The chromis would become light snacks for one. Starting from small, it may work out with your bigger fish. Any cleanup crew would be munchies as well. You'd be better off with a Sargassum/Blue Throat or similar trigger than with a clown.

The emperor angel gets very large when adult, so not a great fish choice for that size tank unless selling/trading it when adult or big tank upgrade is part of your long-term planning. You wrote that this is possible, but one thing I've noticed over the years is that plans change & many people "plan" for a bigger tank but later change their minds due to changing priorities, costs, no room, moving, etc. Generally, it is recommended to stick with fish that will grow to adult size and be good in the present system, since we never know what the future holds.

Raccoon butterflies are among my favourite, as long as its not in a reef tank. They are likely to eat a wide variety of reef inverts, like corals. Once acclimated, they also tend to be hardy for a butterflyfish.

Foxface/rabbitfish grow very, very fast in my experience. Mine grew at least an inch per month, if not faster.

Anthony
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Jordan_Oreo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Clown triggers have a bad reputation for becoming mean & killing other tankmates as they mature. The chromis would become light snacks for one. Starting from small, it may work out with your bigger fish. Any cleanup crew would be munchies as well. You'd be better off with a Sargassum/Blue Throat or similar trigger than with a clown.

The emperor angel gets very large when adult, so not a great fish choice for that size tank unless selling/trading it when adult or big tank upgrade is part of your long-term planning. You wrote that this is possible, but one thing I've noticed over the years is that plans change & many people "plan" for a bigger tank but later change their minds due to changing priorities, costs, no room, moving, etc. Generally, it is recommended to stick with fish that will grow to adult size and be good in the present system, since we never know what the future holds.

Raccoon butterflies are among my favourite, as long as its not in a reef tank. They are likely to eat a wide variety of reef inverts, like corals. Once acclimated, they also tend to be hardy for a butterflyfish.

Foxface/rabbitfish grow very, very fast in my experience. Mine grew at least an inch per month, if not faster.

Anthony

Thanks for the input, I guess the clown trigger is out. What are some triggers that would be less agressive and has a decent reputation besides the Blue Throat ? what about a huma huma trigger ?

Also I allready have a tank for the emperor when it gets bigger, my unlce has a tank aswell, he got me into the hobby he has a 200g fowlr so I would give it to him once it gets to big for my tank.

could I put these fish in the tank with out any problems ?
-emperor anglefish(juvi, moved to uncles tank once bigger)
-blue throat trigger
-racoon butterfly
-4-5 chromis
-foxface

would the tank be to over stocked with thoes fish ? or would thoes all work in the size of tank I got, remember the emperor will be moved once bigger and the fox face.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 AM

bowkry is on a distinguished road

people say the huma huma is less agressive I will totally disagree. Mine was a complete mainiac. One morning I woke up and it was bolting around the tank, he was just killing not eating just attcking everthing in the tank(everything but the lion) He killed my Koran Angel, my clowns, my Hamlet, Hawkfish the only things left by noon was my Porky Puffer and my lion. The only triggers I trust is the Blue throat
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 AM

md14 is on a distinguished road

I had a huma huma, I had a great experience with it, didnt nip or try to kill any fish/corals only thing you have to watch is they love to dig around with the sand.. I didnt enjoy sand storms very much..

You could try a Niger Trigger there spose to be a bit more passive aswell
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 AM

bulletsworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
.....Any cleanup crew would be munchies as well.
I can't stop laughing. I love how you put it. Very true!

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo