Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM

reefnut is on a distinguished road
Default tank dismantle and glass cutting

ive recently purchased a 96 gal tank.i got it for a good used price and my plan is to cut it down to fit my stand and re sillicone it.first question is that i have cut glass before but this is 3/8 and much thicker than i have experience with.do i just cut it the same way as thinner stuf f or is there any tips or tricks.i plan on cutting the length down about 4-6 inches and the width front to back about 2-4 inches it is 20 inches tall and has no bracing at all.should i add this?and as far as prepping for new sillicone what is the best method.i planned on scraping as much sillicone off as possible and using a solvent to finish it off.then clean all the glass with vinegar and dish soap followed by a thorough rinse.any thoughts or tips?ohh and can i get a proper sillicone from home depot?thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Clay&Chey is on a distinguished road

myself i'd alter the stand to fit the tank. making glass cuts square and straight isnt the easiest thing. its easier and not so permanent to add to wood.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

take a look in Dez's build thread, believe some tips there on drilling and cutting
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM

thanks guys.i have no choice but to dismantle cause the bottom piece is cracked.the previous owner just silliconed another piece ontop.it leaks.so i thought i would adjust the size while i have it apart.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Taking the glass apart is the hardest part. I usually use a combination of razor blades (I just buy 100 at Home Depot) and guitar string. Wear gloves or wrap the string aroung a pipe or something to use as a handle on either side, then slowly work the guitar string back and forth to cut the silicone. Guitar string is dirt cheap.

Cleaning - second hardest part - I hate it. Again, use razor blades. Keep changing the blades to always have a sharp edge. Scrape as much as you can off. Keep doing it - the better you do this the easier the next step will be. Then you can use a wire brush (sandpaper might work but I've never tried it) and brush the remainder off. If you have a drill, then use a wire brush attachment. Be carefull to only go on the edge so that you don't scratch the glass.

Cutting - the easy part. Go to a stain glass shop and get a glass cutter (dont' get the cheap home depot scribe one - I've had less successful experiences with these as it's a scribe and not a wheel). You can get a nice glass cutter for under $20 at a stain glass shop (at least 5 years ago you could). Some will be oil filled, but not necessary. Mark out your lines (keep in might the glass cutter usually is about 1/8" away from the straight edge that you'll be using. Scribe it, you don't have to press hard and NEVER scribe twice. It's really easy, practice on scrap glass if you have any. 2 ways to "snap" it off - 1. hang the "leftover" section over a straight countertop and evenly snap it off - if your scribed line is down, snap in the direction of your scribe line (push the leftover section down) 2. Get pliers from the stained glass shop meant to break glass along scribe line - they'll tell you how to use it. It's not scary - really easy.

Siliconing - easy but messy. Clean glass with vinegar and newspaper (I learned this trick from the glass builder at Bow Valley years ago). Mask it off if you don't want it to be super messy, apply silicone and build. Use tape to hold together (fibreglass reinforced tape is what tank builders use because it doesn't stretch)

Hope that this helps.

(I am no pro, but I found it easy building quite a few small tanks in the past). Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I find cutting old glass is hopelessly hit and miss, and mostly miss at that. Only ever gotten a predictable break line when the glass was perfectly (and I mean PERFECTLY) clean.

If it were me, I'd replace the bottom panel and adjust the stand size. I hate cutting glass. Dez has a golden horseshoe up his rear (sorry man but it's true) and things just "work" for him, if you're like me and basically on the complete other end of the luck spectrum, my suggestion is don't waste your time, you could wind up losing the whole tank.

Good luck whatever you decide, and have fun with it.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM

great advice thanks guys.ive got the tank apart now.used a razor and a .003" feeler gauge(destroyed the gauge but its apart)i hear ya on adjusting the stand and not the tank but that would mean stand,canopy overhaul as i would not be happy with the xtra overhang.my neww problem is that the entire tank is built with 3/8.the extra piece that was glued over the cracked bottom is only 1/4.originally i wanted to use the extra bottom to replace the cracked one as i was told it was at least 3/8.the bottom is non floating and sits flat on the stand wothout any trim.the ends and sides sit on top of the bottom.ya think 1/4 inch is enough if the overal measurements will be 40-42"long,20"inches high and 20 inches deep?sitting on a solid level surface.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I wouldn't use 1/4" for the bottom on that size.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

1/4" is bad enough on small tanks. I'd def get thicker.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM

so 3/8 should be good though right?