Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 AM

koi is on a distinguished road
Question 120g fish ideas/help..?

Hi everybody I have a 120g FOWLR up and running and I was wondering on what kind of fish people thought would be good to get the bigger the better..? I am looking at getting a sailfin tang, niger trigger, a pair of bluejaw triggers, harlequin tuskfish, passer angelfish, dogface puffer, regal tang, metallic foxface, and a volitan lionfish. These are only Ideas for fish I want.

Last edited by koi; 07-16-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

That seems like a lot. I like big aggressive fish too so I've put a Volitan Lionfish and a Snowflake Moray into my 120gal. I've also got a Purple Tang for algae control, a Copperbanded Butterfly for aptasia control and a Tomatoe Clow just because it was my very first fish. Along with about 100 lbs of liverock and some decently sized coral colonies it looks pretty full with just those 5 fish in there. Obviously if you're doing a FOWLR you wont have the coral but I think you'll still be pretty crouded and you'll need a skimmer rated for a much larger system.

If I were you I would probably pick my favorite 4 from that list and go with them. Just my opinion.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree, thats too many fish for that tank. All of those fish have the potential to get 10+ inches. I would pick 4 or 5 of that list and start there.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi View Post
Hi everybody I have a 120g FOWLR up and running and I was wondering on what kind of fish people thought would be good to get the bigger the better..? I am looking at getting a sailfin tang, niger trigger, a pair of bluejaw triggers, harlequin tuskfish, passer angelfish, dogface puffer, regal tang, metallic foxface, and a volitan lionfish. These are only Ideas for fish I want.
I would skip the sailfin as it gets to be the size of a pieplate.
If you are new to the hobby make sure that you QT each fish before you add it to your tank.
Add one fish one month apart and you should not have any problems
The biggest mistake newbies make is adding too many fish too fast so have patience,eh.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM

koi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the ideas. I am not new I have been doing this for along time now and I was just asking if anyone had some different ideas on cool fish to get that got bigger. I have seen plenty of sailfins in 120g tanks and they look perfectly fine
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 PM

JohnM99 is on a distinguished road

A stellate rabbitfish might be interesting - there is one for sale at J&L right now.
Although niger triggers can be interesting, maybe a picasso, assasi or blueline might be more interesting - or a clown trigger. A clown filefish is beautiful, but probably needs a bigger tank.
So many to choose from!! I wish I had a new tank to stock!
As for size and number, your list does seem a bit long, but you can always sell one if the tank gets too crowded as they grow. Hard to add a fish amongst other aggressive fish later on sometimes.
Sounds like that will be a messy tank - need lots of skimming / fuge / cleaning - but very interesting.

Last edited by JohnM99; 07-17-2009 at 10:19 PM.