Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-13-2009, 04:50 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road
Default suggestions for fish

I am in a bit of a issue trying to find fish to put into my 60gal (48x18x16). so far i have a tomato clown, yellow tang and a watchmans goby. The tank is a mixed reef with zoa's, lps and sps so i am trying to find something reef safe. what do you guys think?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Yellow canary wrasse or some species of fairy/flasher wrasse?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 AM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

So far my Tomato Clown has failed to eat my Royal Gramma. I can't say the same for my hand...

Don't know if that helps..

Rob.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 AM

tlo is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of the fairy wrasses too. They are colourful, full of personallity, hardy and good community fish. What more could you ask for.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

fairy wrasse, orchid dottyback, starry blenny, bicolor blenny, tailspot blenny, striped blenny, cherub angel, small school of orange striped cardinals, bangaii cardinals(bred in captivity), matted filefish, ect.

theres tonnes of options. try looking through some online fish stores to find things you like.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

The only problem I see is that the tang and clown are pretty territorial once established. I'm a fan of wrasses so I'll focus on those. Some species of Fairy and flasher wrasses can be pretty timid and can die pretty easily from aggression; research for a boisterous species. I would suggest looking into almost any of the Halichoeres spp. They are generally more hardy, some will eat flatworms and nudibranchs and include my favorite fish, Halichoeres melanurus. H. melanurus isn't available often in Canada and you'll have to know how to recognize it (especially as an individual), but I didn't let that stop me! I think J&L has one in stock as well btw . H. iridis and H. chrysus would also be excellent choices and are more commonly available. For a wrasse that will do an even better job of taking care of itself (but might further limit future additions), look into a sixline wrasse; occasionally a flatworm eater as well. THE biggest factor for wrasses though is a cover or canopy; they are all jumpers (no exceptions imo), so if you don't have a lid/canopy, forget them... then again, so are watchman gobies, so you should already have one.

Whatever you choose, you'll have to pick something that can take good care of itself and should not be shy about eating prepared foods. dottybacks and pseudochromis could be worth a look into; I've always been a big fan of orchid dottybacks and splendid pseudochromis. how about a royal gramma?

no angels since they put your coral at risk; the dwarfs will give you a 50/50 chance at best. Are watchman gobies obligatory sand sifters (I seem to recall they are, but I might be wrong)? If so, then I would advise against any more sand sifters due to competition for food in the sand since they might starve each other. Especially if this tank hasn't been set up for a good amount of time.

also, since no one else has mentioned it, I hope you have a bigger home planned for when that tang outgrows the 60g.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guys. for sure am looking into some chromis and a royal gamma. So i am going to hunt some of those down on the weekend

as for wrasses, i just can't find the right one. i did have a 6 line wrasse-hole but for some odd reason he is MIA and i can't find a body. I don't have a lid over the tank and the watchmen's has been in 3 tanks in a year (10, 20, 60gal) and has never jumped on me. I also have a bi-color blenny but he likes going into the sump all the time so fishing he out is a bi-monthly thing for me. And for the tang, i know about his size, i never saw a grown one till a month after i picked it up and thats when it hit me that in a few months a new home will be needed.

I am still on the search for a smaller tomato for mine can pair up.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

lorenzo, come into elite aquatics if you want wrasses. we almost always have a pretty big selection, mostly of fairy wrasses.
we just got more in today actually.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 AM

md14 is on a distinguished road

Mystery Wrasse.

I've had mine for a lil while now and its my favourite fish