Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road
Default Who is Using a Refugium for Nutrient Control?

I am interested in adding a refugium to my system, primarily to house macroalgae for nutrient control. I was wondering who is already doing this, what your experience has been and what you would recommend for my system. I have a 200 gal display tank and a 33 gal sump at present. I was either going to get a bigger sump and add a refugium section or plumb in a separate refugium.

I currently run zeolites, FM additives and have phosphates of ~0.00 and nitrates of <5 but am interested in a natural alternative.

How big should my refugium be and what type of macroalgae should I consider?

Your input would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

While a heck of lot smaller my 12 gallon has been running a chaeto refugium since May. I think Chaeto is the common macro to grow as there is little or no chance it will "go sexual" and foul up the water with spores.

That said often chaeto refugiums are often on a reverse light cycle so as to keep up pH during the night when regular lights are off and CO2 levels rise. Now I am reading that it might make more sense to leave the fuge lights on 24/7 as you get a better nutrient export.

Have I noticed my 12 gallons improve since the chaeto fuge? Hmm maybe, it sure grows a lot of chaeto!

Last edited by Snaz; 07-13-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I grow both cheato and gracilaria. Some people I've talked to complain that certain types dont grow well for them while others grow extremely fast so you may want to try a few and see for youreself. As for size I'd recommend as big as you can fit. More water volume is always helpful for system stability.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Pat I am running a small 'fuge with my system and use cheato, LR, DSB. Go as big as you can, try to use a gravity return to your display tank, and use a reverse light cycle.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My 210g mixed reef has a 75g sump/refugium (50% fuge) with lots of extra LR & LR rubble, as well as different macro for nutrient export.

My 120g fowlr (now softie reef) has a 90g wide sump/refugium (66% fuge) with lots of LR & macroalgae for nutrient export.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I have a 145g display and a 75g sump, to which I've added a 20g primarily Chaeto refugium.

Before the dedicated fuge always had zero or near zero NO3 and really no algae problems but did have a small area just between the baffles for Chaeto, so really can't say the dedicated 20g made a differance with nutrients.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:32 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I run a fuge with chaeto on a reverse light cycle. You know it's doing something because the macro is growing and taking up nutrients as it does so. A side benefit is that chaeto and other macroalgaes encourage a larger pod population by giving them a great place to reproduce.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

I have been running a skimmerless, mineral mud type sump/refugium on my 72 for 2 years now. I grow several types of caulerpa and chaeto on 24 hour lighting. I don't do a lot of water changes and still have undetectable nitrate and phosphate levels. Seems to work for me. I may eventually add a skimmer to create a hybred system, but everything is going good so I'm not sure if I want to change.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:35 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I have a 70g sump with a 31g refugium, with live rock and rubble and several kinds of macro algae, on a reverse light cycle, for the 225g mixed reef tank.

And a 54g sump with a 16g refugium with DSB, live rock & rubble and a very thick growth of macro algae, also on a reverse light cycle for the 90g mixed reef tank.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterfloth View Post
I am interested in adding a refugium to my system, primarily to house macroalgae for nutrient control. I was wondering who is already doing this, what your experience has been and what you would recommend for my system. I have a 200 gal display tank and a 33 gal sump at present. I was either going to get a bigger sump and add a refugium section or plumb in a separate refugium.

I currently run zeolites, FM additives and have phosphates of ~0.00 and nitrates of <5 but am interested in a natural alternative.

How big should my refugium be and what type of macroalgae should I consider?

Your input would be very much appreciated.
I would not add a refugium to your sump.
If you plumb a pipe between the sump pump and the tank and have the refugium sit higher than your tank here is what you can do. You place a valve between the pipe and refugium and restrict the flow to very slow. The inlet pipe simple hangs into your refugium and the out pipe comes from the top of your refugium and into the display tank. It is a gravity flow.
That way in addition to chaeto you can cultivate tonnes of pods and other things in the refugium to feed your large tank. The pipe from the refugium should go right down to the bottom of the display tank. If you do not do this, fish simply hang around the pipe and feed as the critters flow into the display tank.
I feed my refugium daily with phyto to encourage a highly populated refugium.