Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-04-2009, 02:18 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road
Default Finishing a glass edge

I had to do a DIY sump mod for my new tank I am working on and am now left with a sharp and somewhat jagged edge. What is the best way to smooth it up a bit? Sandpaper? If so what grit? Any other ideas?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:57 AM

Robw is on a distinguished road

I saw Mitch at Bow Valley using a belt sander to "polish" the edges of some glass I had cut. Not sure what grit he used but it was rough. I would try a 100 grit silicon carbide sand paper to start and go finer if you want it real smooth.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:05 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I have used a abrasive flap wheel on my angle grinder lots on glass. True glass sanders/polishers use water for cooling.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

if you go to a cut glass hoby store you can get glass rub stones, they take a bit but work good, if you want to use sand paper you need silicon carbide paper (as mentioned above) with a heavy weight back. don't even try other typed of grit. if you can find it in low quantities start with a 80 grit then go to a 150ish, then depending on how smooth you want it finnish off with a 220 then higher like 400 if you want.. if it is not a visual edge I would stop at the 220 that should leave you almost a frosted look.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 AM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not to concerned with how it looks, just the fact that if I don't take care of the sharp edge now there will be a day where I cut myself on it as it is close to where my skimmer is so my hands will be in there on a regular basis.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

if you don't have abelt sander already that you can find proper belts for then just buy a rubstone and knock the edges down then.. any stained glass shop has them.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.