Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Malibu is on a distinguished road
Default Babies!

One of my platies had babies! I thought a couple of the adults might be preggers, but I wasn't sure (new to tropicals) and it appears that one of them must have been because I have a baby swimming around. Only one, so I'm assuming the rest must have been eaten.

I have a couple of plants that I was going to trim because they're tall and coiling at the top, but I'm thinking I'm going to leave them for now to give the little guy some shelter. I took out my moss "mop" because it was just making a mess of my tank and I have no intentions of putting it back in (I think it was java moss?)

Anyway, short of another moss plant, any suggestions? I'm fairly certain 2 are very pregnant and ready any minute now!

Last edited by Malibu; 06-25-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

you can use a couple layers of marbles. the small gaps inbetween work well from what i have read. you couls also pack some leafy plants (crypto, java fern) really tightly together so its like a jungle.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM

365seasons is on a distinguished road

If you throw the pregnant platy in a breeder, turn the lights out, and throw in some food, she will pop pretty quickly (if she's ready). They need to feel safe.

Then you can get fry food and keep the babies in the breeder until they are functionally swimming.

It will give them all a much better chance of surviving in the plants that you do have.

Good luck!

Saltwater 55gallon column seahorse tank

saltwater 65G mixed tank w/ 30G sump