Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM

whiteangelbw is on a distinguished road
Default Is this light strong enough

Tank is 24" deep and would like to get a couple of clams, is this light powerful enough.

48" Black Coralife Metal Halide Light - 2 x 175W Hamilton 14k Bulbs +
Actinic/10,000K supplement.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

You need at least 250 for 24 inch depth. I have the same setup you do but a 18 inch depth and all the SPS are half way up in my tank
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

That would depend on what type of clams you want. Squamosa and Derasa would be ok with that light, but Crocea and Maxima would need more to thrive. You can also arrange your rocks to create a level area where clams can be placed further up.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Most local reefers have their lower light requiring Derasas & Squamosa on the sand bed & their Maximas and Croceas up top on the rock structures anyways.

The only thing I would be wary of, more than the wattage, is the low PAR of Hamilton 14000k compared to some other bulbs. Iwasakis are expensive but apparently have very high PAR, comparable to 250w according to Sanjay's tests (lighting guru).

Anthony
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Most local reefers have their lower light requiring Derasas & Squamosa on the sand bed & their Maximas and Croceas up top on the rock structures anyways.

The only thing I would be wary of, more than the wattage, is the low PAR of Hamilton 14000k compared to some other bulbs. Iwasakis are expensive but apparently have very high PAR, comparable to 250w according to Sanjay's tests (lighting guru).

Anthony
Maximum PAR for 175W bulbs depends on the ballasts he's using, according to Dr. Joshi. If they're magnetic (likely) then the AB 13K bulbs eke out a bit more than the Iwasakis. But if he's got electronics then the Iwasakis win by a mile (comparatively).
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I know a guy with a 28" deep tank that keeps a Maxima perfectly happy in the sand on the bottom of his tank with T5's, so personally I don't think you would have an issue. You may just want to place the clam strategically under the highest output of the light... but that's just my two cents.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 06-24-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM

whiteangelbw is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I think all the Coralife fixtures use electronic ballasts?? Either way, the Hamilton bulb should be fine for Squamosa or Derasa.

If you want Maxima or Crocea, then upgrading to the Iwasaki bulb (one of my all time favourite bulbs) would be a good choice, and cost effective since you wouldn't have to replace the whole fixture.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 06-26-2009 at 03:47 PM.