Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 05-20-2009, 11:39 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default its official

well just removed the conditions for purchasing a house in kamloops today. no more ugly island winters for me .

now come the hard part, figuring out where to build a tank in the new house.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The Island has winters?

Er, I mean .. good luck with the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
well just removed the conditions for purchasing a house in kamloops today. no more ugly island winters for me .

now come the hard part, figuring out where to build a tank in the new house.

Steve
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM

karazy is on a distinguished road

what do you mean he sad part? its an opportunity for a new tank!!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
The Island has winters?

Er, I mean .. good luck with the move.
um, ya, well more like 9 months of rain, wind, and close to zero temps.

and no sun.

did I mention you don't get to see the sun much in the winter here.. ?

no luck needed with the move, I am not doing it the millitary is.. so I get to sit and drink a beer while packers pack, and movers move, then packers unpack... my kinda moving
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 05-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
what do you mean he sad part? its an opportunity for a new tank!!
yes, yes it is.. but it is trying to find a place where I can actualy build it the way I want.. idealy I was looking for a place that had a room with a common wall to the family room. I have that but it is the laundry room and the admeral has already determined that the rest of the laundry room is to be built into here sewing room haha..

would have been perfect.. a fish tank built into the wall of the bar attached to the rec room...

Steve

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Umm, I wonder what the weather is like in Kamloops during winter.....if it is bad on the
island. Better save a lot of that beer, you might need more it next winter, he he.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Umm, I wonder what the weather is like in Kamloops during winter.....if it is bad on the
island. Better save a lot of that beer, you might need more it next winter, he he.
its a little cooler, but much dryer and sunny I grew up in Alberta so snow doesn't bother me, already looking at snowblowers

seriously though the dampness here with the winter temps makes it feel much colder. to give you a comparason, when were were in Kamloops a couple months ago itwas -5 at night. it felt warmer than Victoria when it is +5 in the winter. The moisture content in the air is much higher so what you have is it can adsorb more heat faster from your body so it feels colder. also the dampness goes right through anything you put on. dryer air is way more simple to dress for and has a lower heat capacity than moist air so it doesn't cool you as fast.

it is the same as when we talk about the humidex in the summer, the temp is say 25 but it feels like 32. in the winter it is oposit, if you have a high humidity the "feels like" part is lower than the actual temp.

Steve

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
its a little cooler, but much dryer and sunny I grew up in Alberta so snow doesn't bother me, already looking at snowblowers

seriously though the dampness here with the winter temps makes it feel much colder. to give you a comparason, when were were in Kamloops a couple months ago itwas -5 at night. it felt warmer than Victoria when it is +5 in the winter. The moisture content in the air is much higher so what you have is it can adsorb more heat faster from your body so it feels colder. also the dampness goes right through anything you put on. dryer air is way more simple to dress for and has a lower heat capacity than moist air so it doesn't cool you as fast.

it is the same as when we talk about the humidex in the summer, the temp is say 25 but it feels like 32. in the winter it is oposit, if you have a high humidity the "feels like" part is lower than the actual temp.

Steve
The problem with Kamloops is the summers, you can dress for the cold no matter whether its dry or wet... once your down to the skin there is nothing left to take off when it's approaching 40c

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
The problem with Kamloops is the summers, you can dress for the cold no matter whether its dry or wet... once your down to the skin there is nothing left to take off when it's approaching 40c
yup and I love the heat. and I think after spending 6 months in 50 to 58 degrees C that will be a nice treat.

seriously though, I have been in kamloops when it was 42 and rather enjoyed it. besides the house we bought has central air

Steve

Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 AM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default Winter's not THAT bad

Quote:
seriously though, I have been in kamloops when it was 42 and rather enjoyed it. besides the house we bought has central air

Steve
Yup, central air is a must. I just replaced my old one with a heat pump. The sad part -- the old 2 ton compressor would actually NOT keep up with the heat last summer (got to about 42). I grew up here, so it is always funny to watch people fall over from heat exhaustion when they are new here. Outside with 40+ weather and 0% humidity you DO need to drink about 1 liter per hour.

Winters are kinda strange here. Some years, there is a LOT of snow and it stays warm. Others (like last year) stay above +5 for most of the winter and then drop to -15 or so for about 3 weeks and then warm back up.

Anyways, welcome to Kamloops, and if you need any help with a new tank, I'm always kicking around, once I finish my own reno's though