Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 05-16-2009, 02:29 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road
Default Info about ORA Corals in Canada

Some of you have asked me about buying some of those great ORA frags you often see in the US, and specifically whether or not I can get these for you.

I contacted ORA again to see if anything has changed (as I contacted them previously some time ago about this). Laura from ORA's sales department took the time to provide the following information:

"We can ship fish to Canada but not corals. Sorry, I know you've been asking for a while…"

At this time nothing has changed, so ORA can't ship their corals to Canada. If something changes I will plan on importing some.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Hmm

So as bad as this sounds, this means that all ORA frags brought in to Canada are illegal? Even if there second generation frags, you still need paperwork to export them from the US right? How then can Canadian Vendors be advertising that they have all of these ORA frags? If Canada and the US share around 65% exclusive trade (some 1.5 bill a day in goods) why is something like this even a problem. IMO rip down the CanberlinUsa wall and make the NAU (Of course I support the NAU for many other reasons than just shipping nice coral but it wouldn't be a bad side effect)
Levi
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
So as bad as this sounds, this means that all ORA frags brought in to Canada are illegal?Levi
No Levi, that isn't what this means. It means someone may have figured a loophole in the process, and is able to supply these frags.
If at some point there is a conviction for this practice, THEN it's illegal at that time, and not before.

*Note: The legalities of a topic do not belong on this board, and will not be allowed, regardless of forum. This board is for the discussion of keeping reef tanks, not importation laws. This post is an announcement by a vendor to advise that he has not, at this time, figured out a method of providing these items. It is not a discussion of legal issues.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:27 PM

True, so "innocent before proven guilty" as always applies. Still would love to know how these are brought in if ORA won't sell them to Canada. I'm sure you would agree though if the laws were lightened a bit people would turn more to aquacultured frags over wild pieces.
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No Levi, that isn't what this means. It means someone may have figured a loophole in the process, and is able to supply these frags.
If at some point there is a conviction for this practice, THEN it's illegal at that time, and not before.

*Note: The legalities of a topic do not belong on this board, and will not be allowed, regardless of forum. This board is for the discussion of keeping reef tanks, not importation laws. This post is an announcement by a vendor to advise that he has not, at this time, figured out a method of providing these items. It is not a discussion of legal issues.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I know I have brought corals across the border. As long as I physically take them across I've never had troubles. Provided they are not mounted on anything that may resemble liverock, including plugs. Not sure if that would work.

I am very interested to find out how some vendors are able to import ORA, while other can't.

Too bad Wicked Frags can't...he is a very good vendor.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Myka, do you know if you "can" get in trouble for this? Luck or no luck, if I went to states and tried to cross the border with 10-15 frags and the boarder gaurd caught you, could you be penalized? I would also love to figure out the ORA situation out. (Maybe then we could finally place an order on reefcentral)
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I know I have brought corals across the border. As long as I physically take them across I've never had troubles. Provided they are not mounted on anything that may resemble liverock, including plugs. Not sure if that would work.

I am very interested to find out how some vendors are able to import ORA, while other can't.

Too bad Wicked Frags can't...he is a very good vendor.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have no idea. All I know is that I tell the guard it is "live coral", and he asks how much it's worth, and away I go. Maybe he's not supposed to let me take it?? I'm not sure. It is a very small border crossing. I get people from the US to send it to my US postal box (via UPS or USPS overnight), I pick it up there (which is only about 2 km into the US), and I drive it back through the border. As long as it's less than $100 I rarely get charged any duties. I get orchids the same way, and I know orchids can't cross the border in the mail. I have to go pick them up, and then it's ok.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-16-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Well thanks for the info, If I ever really need coral from the US then I know how Il get it done. I have a feeling I'm going to get the gaurd who is having a bad day and just recieved a shipment of new latex gloves though. Dave, your thoughts on the matter?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

No guys, all that means is as stated; "ORA does not ship to Canada". They do not ship directly to Canada. That is all you can conclude. To me that doesn't mean it can't be done legally and properly through a third party who purchases them from ORA.

Dave, what is really the intent of all these threads you are starting? I was hoping for a productive conversation on the movement of corals around the world and how import and export works etc.

Instead, it seems like you are just wanting to make statements about how it is not possible to bring these corals in Canada and are therefore implying that another vendor is doing something dishonest.

I think this is not cool and these threads should be removed.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Though I haven't tried it, I have heard from many people, including an LFS in Portland (Upscales, I think. The home of the original 'Oregon Tort'), that its easy to take frags accross the border. Simply tell the border gaurd that you have live ornamental coral for your home aquarium, and 9 out of 10 times they'll let you through no problem. The 1 out of 10 times is a guard who has no idea what you're talking about, and tells you to go inside and tell them. The guys inside can be sticklers and what to make sure the coral is on the CITIES approved list (no, they don't want to see a CITIES certificate). It can be a hassle, and on a rare occasion they might be rejected, but for the dedicated, it's easy enough to do.

Anyone want some Tyree, ORA or anything else corals?