Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Feck - Plumbing woes...please help!

Ok, dumbass here made a boo boo. My 90 is drilled in the bottom with a corner overflow, and dumbass here isn't used to a bottom drilled tank, so didn't take this into consideration when building the stand. The stand is finished now, so I'm hesitant to rip it apart (glued and screwed arg), but I have 2x4s on end (so 3 1/2" thick) right where the tank is drilled. #$%*@$%&@!!!!! So...I'm trying to figure out some brilliant idea to make this work with as little effort on my part.

The only two options I can think of are; rip the stand apart and move the framing, OR silicone a chunk of glass in the bottom of the overflow to cover up the holes, and drill the back of the tank. The second idea is pretty stupid...but it's easier.

Any thoughts?

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:58 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

slimline bulkhead and a false bottom on the stand? Basically lift up the tank a bit higher - so you can squeeze the plumbing through into a better spot... (Don't worry - we've all done it )
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd redo the stand.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:06 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'd redo the stand.

Ditto
Old 05-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Ya ok, I will modify the stupid stand. :| It's the right way to do it...besides, I like the idea of being able to have the drains with no elbows to get plugged up. This tank is drilled so close to the edges though that I can't even fit a single 2x4 on end (1 1/2") under it. I will have to move the corner post over. It will look a little funny when it's opened up and the post isn't in the corner, but I don't have much choice. It's an AGA stand, and the tank is drilled only taking that 3/4" of the 1x4 into consideration. What dumb@$$ would do that? Don't people know these AGA stands are wussy? I might just redo it entirely, and design it to be a bit wider so I can at least fit the one 2x4 all the way to the corner. Haha thinking out loud here...yep gonna redo the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
slimline bulkhead and a false bottom on the stand? Basically lift up the tank a bit higher - so you can squeeze the plumbing through into a better spot... (Don't worry - we've all done it )
I actually did think of this too, but the stand is exactly the height I want it to be.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-02-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille
Smile

Myka you will be a lot happier if you do re-do the stand.

I know its a PITA to re-do something that you have just completed.

We have all been through this at one time or another!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM

I tossed the entire thing, and started making a new one. Dang...shoulda sold the stand before I wrecked it!! Makes the tank kinda expensive now. Coulda bought a brand new Reef Ready for the money... GRR. Now that's a **** off since I'm already a bit disappointed in the build quality of this tank. Plus the cost of the materials I've already put into the stand.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-02-2009 at 09:49 PM.