Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blue Ringed Octopus

They have one at Big Als in Burnaby right now for 39.99.
I set up a 32 gallon tank with about 40lbs of LR with the expectation that I am going to buy this thing and house it all by itself, I'll bu using an xp1 for flow and to hide the heater and pack in some lr rubble and I will be using a prizm pro skimmer for filtration
I've definitely escape proofed the tank, just wondering if anyone has experience with these deadly creatures?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

My understanding is that a prizm pro is not 'escape proofed' for water let alone an octopus. I seriously hope that this is a joke.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
They have one at Big Als in Burnaby right now for 39.99.
I set up a 32 gallon tank with about 40lbs of LR with the expectation that I am going to buy this thing and house it all by itself, I'll bu using an xp1 for flow and to hide the heater and pack in some lr rubble and I will be using a prizm pro skimmer for filtration
I've definitely escape proofed the tank, just wondering if anyone has experience with these deadly creatures?
My opinion id that these creatures should be left where they belong. I think it is irresponsible for retailers to import these creatures. Conus Snails and Blue Rings are a disaster waiting to happen.

Stay away!!!

Just my opinion..........
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I have no intention of ever getting such a creature, but could you possibly expand on why they are a disaster in the making? It is always great to learn about al creatures in the hobby, even if they will never make it to my tank.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
My understanding is that a prizm pro is not 'escape proofed' for water let alone an octopus. I seriously hope that this is a joke.
No joke.
what does that even mean?
anyone have anything of substance to add here?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

nice knowing ya, interesting way to commit suicide i guess, make shure you have insurance
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals View Post
My opinion id that these creatures should be left where they belong. I think it is irresponsible for retailers to import these creatures. Conus Snails and Blue Rings are a disaster waiting to happen.

Stay away!!!

Just my opinion..........
and your opinion is based on?

It's already at Big Als, someone is gonna buy it or it's dead int he water there living in one of those hamster balls thats they keep all their hard to catch stuff in now.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
nice knowing ya, interesting way to commit suicide i guess, make shure you have insurance
hahahaha...
lol.

too funny.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I have no intention of ever getting such a creature, but could you possibly expand on why they are a disaster in the making? It is always great to learn about al creatures in the hobby, even if they will never make it to my tank.
Blue Ring Octopus.

The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball, but its venom is powerful enough to kill humans. There is no known antidote.
The octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin, but was later found to be identical to tetrodotoxin,[2] a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish and cone snails. Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and sometimes respiratory arrest leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus[3].
First aid treatment is pressure on the wound and rescue breathing. It is essential, if rescue breathing is required, that it be continued until the victim begins to breathe, which may be some hours. Hospital treatment involves respiratory assistance until the toxin is washed out of the body. The symptoms vary in severity, with children being the most at risk because of their small body size. The victim might be saved if artificial respiration starts before marked cyanosis and hypotension develop. Victims who live through the first 24 hours generally go on to make a complete recovery.[4]
It is essential that immediate and full time respiratory support be given (e.g. artificial respiration/rescue breathing) even if the victim appears not to be responding. Tetrodotoxin poisoning can result in the victim being fully aware of his/her surroundings but unable to breathe. Because of the paralysis that occurs they have no way of signalling for help or any way of indicating distress. Respiratory support, together with reassurance, until medical assistance arrives ensures that the victim will generally recover well.
The blue-ringed octopus is currently one of the most toxic known sea creatures. Another cephalopod, Pfeffer's Flamboyant Cuttlefish, produces a venom roughly equal in potency to that of the blue-ringed octopus.[5] Despite its small size, the blue-ringed octopus carries enough poison to kill 26 adult humans within minutes[6].

Conus Snail

The cone snails or cone shells, sometimes simply known as "cones", are the popular name for snails or snail shells in the family Conidae, a taxonomic group of related organisms. That family contains only a single genus, Conus, which has about 500 living species. Cone snails are medium-sized to large, sophisticated predatory sea snails, marine gastropod mollusks.[1]
The shells of cone snails are shaped roughly like an ice-cream cone. The narrow end of the cone shell is the anterior end, and the wide end shows the usually very low spire of the gastropod shell.
These snails hunt and immobilize prey using a modified radular tooth along with a poison gland containing neurotoxins; this is launched out of its mouth in a harpoon-like action.
Cone venom shows great promise as a source of new, medically important substances.[2][3]
Live cone snails should be handled with care or not handled at all, as they are capable of "stinging" humans with unpleasant results. The sting of very small cones is no worse than a bee sting, but the sting of a few of the larger species of tropical cone snails can be fatal to human beings.
The shells of cone snails are often brightly colored and intricately patterned, although in some species when the snail is still alive, this coloring is covered over with a thick periostracum.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus

they are currently recognized as one of the world's most venomous animals.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Closed Thread